Lets See Your Taper Jig !

Sean Wright

If you have made your own taper jig for your table saw, I'm interested in seeing your pictures.

I'm kicking around a few ideas for a future project that might require some tapered cuts. I currently don't have a taper jig, but am considering making one. Any ideas are appreciated! :wave:

I get the Woodworkers Journal eZine emails and the most recent one had free plans for a taper jig, but it looks very complex.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/plans/legtaper.pdf

Application of Taper

Is it possible to take a rectangular board and taper it from both ends toward the center with a taper jig? Or would this be best done on a bandsaw?

This is rough example of what I want to do....

Attachments

• taperboard.JPG
    taperboard.JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 44
Sean, it really depends on how may of these you need. If you only need one or two, you'd probably be better of using the bandsaw and then fine tuning them with the necessary sanders, files and scrapers. However, if you need a number of these I'd make a hardboard template using the process I described above. Then you can tape it to your stock and cut them out using a router w/bushing and a straight bit. You'll still have to work the hard angles by hand, but it would save you a boat load of time.

Here's a little one on the bandsaw:

SmallTapers.jpg

Here's a big one on my slider (is a slider cheating?):

TaperJig1.jpg

Another one for the bandsaw for tapering things too tall for the TS:

TaperJigForBandsaw04.jpg