Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do i or dont i

do i or dont i

they are offering free upgrade to windows 10 by the end of the month or so and i dont want trouble am running windows 8 now,, so is 10 ok or do i need help putting it on to make it work ok?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

take my comment with a dose of salt and remember what you paid for it.... I don't like windows 7 - 8 was a disaster for me, probably wouldn't do 10.... I still operate on XP.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

i went from 7 to 10 on my laptop ol son, haven't looked back. after the the laptop's hard drive quit on me, got the new one, loaded out 10 with no problems. when i got the brain for the cnc machine (no system on it) it got 10 too, with no problems. so far, so good, 10 does everything i need it to do, and it works and plays well with all of my software. a little time to get used to the new layout, but it can be handled.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

We have four (4!) computers, all operating flawlessly on Win 10.

Two of them were sneakily 'upgraded' by Microsoft during the night. We must have missed an "Upgrade Now" message or something.

All four were Win 7 machines. I was hesitant to do the upgrade at first, but after the first one upgraded, and I got sorta used to it, I decided I liked it.

I've never used Win 8, but have heard it was a dog.

Sooner or later, MS is likely to cut off support for earlier Wins, so upping to 10 is probably a good idea if you want continued upgrades/support.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I'm running 7. I did the upgrade to 10 and didn't particularly care for it. Got rid of it and went back to 7. Just didn't care for all of that "app" layout. I know I will have to upgrade eventually, but will wait a while. If I have to upgrade and pay for it when I do it, so be it. That's my hardheadedness costing me money which it has on occasions. Like Chuck I loved XP. Still have the dvd but it's 32 bit while my new machine is 64. It would run but not that great. I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing. Seems to me though that every time they come up with a new OS, in basic computer file work they add steps here and there instead of making things easier. Maybe it's just me.

WIN 7 Pro here. No desire to switch to 10.

I have one graphics program I use to do images on the laser that only works with XP. I can upgrade that program but it is $400++. The XP version works fine for me.

WIN 7 Pro has an option to open a new window in WIN XP that I use for said program.

I updated two desktops and one laptop to Win 10 with some hesitation. I had no problem with the desktops but the laptop seemed real sluggish after the change. I took the laptop back to Win 7 for a while, then tried Win 10 again. This time, I made sure to let Windows go through all of the steps it wanted to do - just let it go until it was truly finished and had no problem with it.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I'm running it on two of my pc's, only issue I've had is the forced updates, with the pro version it will allow you to defer them, but the home version it will restart on you when it's ready with a short warning. I walked away from one and lost a file I had been working on, so save early and often for that reason. I've had no issues running any programs on it. I did pay the $5 for the start10 start menu button app, which give you more of the windows 7 options.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Win 7 pro here too. I upgraded three days ago and have had problems with jpg thumbnails not showing and no audio. Have tried all the suggested on line fixes and still have no thumbnails. The audio seems to have settled down. I'll give the thumbnails a few more chances and then, if I can't get them fixed will probably switch back to 7 pro.

A couple of years back, my computer crashed and to help me retrieve my data, my son gave me an Ubuntu disc that I loaded and worked with to get the XP back up and running... Ubuntu was Unix based and worked pretty good. I liked it and considered just staying with the Unix based OS.

My son runs his company on a Mac book or Mac based computers... My DIL is the chief payroll bookkeeper for a company out of Austin that handles contract workers for the oil rigs... a $1M weekly payroll and I think she's working on Mac based computer too. I'm also considering converting to Mac myself... don't really do much on computers except forums and keeping my inventory, pictures and my ETSY account.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.