You Know You Are

Dave Hoskins

You know you are definitely getting older when you decide you need a cart to haul your chainsaw around. This morning I was toting the 440 mag down to where I have some live oak logs, and I think it almost kicked my butt. I know it was fairly hot and humid, but jeezzz!!! The power head alone on that saw is over 20 pounds so it's not exactly lightweight. Anyway, I made a command decision and am going to get one of those steel yard carts to haul it and the gas and oil around on. I guess that is certainly better than hauling it by hand anywhere from 150 to 200 feet or whatever it is. Never paced it off. So, my girlfriend is going to take me in to Weatherford this afternoon to get one from Lowe's and it's gonna cost me a trip to CiCi's Pizza. I guess it's worth it. :D

Oh yeah, even though I got rid of the yard tractor a couple of years ago, I kept the cart and pull it around with the zero turn, which I welded up a hitch for. The guy that bought my tractor was wanting the cart more than the tractor, but wasn't about to sell it to him. :)

Oh man, I've got a collection of little carts I use for moving stuff around. As it is, I still get a ton of steps in on weekends when I'm working on projects going back and forth the shop many times to get the tools I forgot to take the first time. The carts make it easy to take everything back to where they belong.

Let's see,

1 2 wheeled garden cart with the bicycle tires
1 4 wheeled garden cart
1 smaller 4 wheeled plastic dump cart
1 dump trailer for the garden tractor
1 home built cart for taking the trash down to the road for the garden tractor
1 modified light duty dolly as a painting supplies project cart
1 wheel barrow with a cracked plastic bucket
1 2 wheeled wheel barrow with a cracked plastic bucket
1 wheel barrow with a metal bucket. No cracks, but starting to rust.

Oh man, I've got a collection of little carts I use for moving stuff around. As it is, I still get a ton of steps in on weekends when I'm working on projects going back and forth the shop many times to get the tools I forgot to take the first time. The carts make it easy to take everything back to where they belong.

Let's see,

1 2 wheeled garden cart with the bicycle tires
1 4 wheeled garden cart
1 smaller 4 wheeled plastic dump cart
1 dump trailer for the garden tractor
1 home built cart for taking the trash down to the road for the garden tractor
1 modified light duty dolly as a painting supplies project cart
1 wheel barrow with a cracked plastic bucket
1 2 wheeled wheel barrow with a cracked plastic bucket
1 wheel barrow with a metal bucket. No cracks, but starting to rust.

I have a few of those...
1 2 wheel garden cart.. has 1/2 bag of fertilizer in it, an old tarp and an old plant pot... usually sits at the back of the lawn tractor and sometimes catches the garbage before it get into the truck.
1 2 wheel trailer for the garden tractor/lawn mower - has a flat tire and needs a new tire
1 wheel barrow with rusty metal bucked - and a flat tire needing a new wheel.

I have a few of those...
1 2 wheel garden cart.. has 1/2 bag of fertilizer in it, an old tarp and an old plant pot... usually sits at the back of the lawn tractor and sometimes catches the garbage before it get into the truck.
1 2 wheel trailer for the garden tractor/lawn mower - has a flat tire and needs a new tire
1 wheel barrow with rusty metal bucked - and a flat tire needing a new wheel.

I think you have hit on one of my pet peeves. Almost all these things have pneumatic tires on them. I've slowly been replacing those with solid tires over time to get rid of the frustration of finding them with flats...

But like any flat surface in a workshop, they tend to get stuff put in them, and then not removed. Might be why I've got so many.

Hmmm. After seeing what Brent and Chuck have, I feel totally inadequate. I've got a medium sized trailer to pull behind the tractor, but sure ain't gonna pull that around by hand. I do have a good heavy duty wheel barrow with a foam filled tire. Now I have a 4 wheeled cart that will get used starting tomorrow. Looks like it will last a while. In the meantime, the dogs are telling me it's hit the rack time.