How does one estimate coverage of a finish

Rob Keeble

Need some help and advice please.

So i have various finishes coming out of my ears. Reason being i have either purchased too little or too much this time around, given the finish i am buying is not available in stores here, i want to get closer to what i need.

So how do you do your finishing calculation , keeping in mind wood absorbs finish.

In this specific case i am looking at using Epifanes marine varnish on thin strips approx 1/8 to 3/16 thick cherry wood glued to a sheet of ply.

Its going to take something like 7 or more coats to give this some degree of protection. Surface is going outdoors but i will remove the top in winter and store it out of weather.

My surface size is approx 38x64 inches.

Whats your best guess in qty and how do you figure it out.?

Thanks for any tips

...i am looking at using Epifanes marine varnish on thin strips approx 1/8 to 3/16 thick cherry wood glued to a sheet of ply.

Its going to take something like 7 or more coats to give this some degree of protection. Surface is going outdoors but i will remove the top in winter and store it out of weather.

My surface size is approx 38x64 inches.

Whats your best guess in qty and how do you figure it out.?

Thanks for any tips

Check the can - it'll tell you what to expect for coverage.

Seven coats seems like a lot. Epifanes recommends four, I think. The first two (maybe three) are thinned at 50%, then 25%, then the final coat(s) are full strength.

BTW, last time I used it, I over-bought by about 50%. Bought two quarts, and only used less than one. Bummer! That stuff's expensive!

Thanks guys, i don't have access to the cans but Duh Rob, picked up the phone and called Epifanes just for record one litre can will cover approx 150 sqft. They told me the meters but i preferred feet. :)

Based on this i could probably get away with half litre but thatvlooks like 4 coats and no room to spare for sides and maybe even bottom coat so 1 litre it is.

Jim you right $50 Cdn a litre here plus shipping. 😮

Last edited: