HELP. Need some red cedar veneer

Duane Heda

I am in need of some red cedar veneer. When "red cedar veneer" I mean the kind of red cedar that you line closets with. I am using 3/4" red cedar plywood and need some veneer to cover up the edges with. Does anyone know if they make that type of veneer and where to purchase it?

One thing you could do is rip some strips of plywood a bit wider than the thickness of the plywood. Then, cut off a thin layer of the surface veneer. You'd have an exact match that way.

You may be able to find some at a lumber specialty store. Or, you could obtain a cedar board of appropriate length and take very thin slices off it with a fine cutting table saw blade. I have used thin slices cut in this way (a by product of milling a board to size) to cover plywood edges.

There are 2 places I always look for the less common veneers (Cedan, a manufacturer; and Veneer Supplies, a supplier) and neither of them list an edge banding in red cedar. (Veneer Supplies indicates they can get custom veneers as you want $$$$, I would think). My guess is that you won't find this stuff easily, so the above suggestions may be more expeditious as well as a lot cheaper.

I see it sold as both a veneer and a drawer/project liner on Amazon.
Is the project one, where you could adjust the plywood size, and instead of trying to cut a thin piece of veneer, just use a larger cedar trim board? (maybe want more of a round edge, then a straight one)