Veneered Glasses Case

That is very nice!

Jim, So one issue I have is I have a number of different pairs of glasses, (Regular, Bifocal, Sun, Safety).

I've been thinking I need to make a 'rack' or stoarage cabinet of some sort for them.

It dawns on me you might be able to provide some direction on that? Right now I just have them laying on a shelf, and I do not think that is the optimal storage solution...

That is a really classic looking case Jim. I'd have guessed from the 30's so it must have been someone in the 50's had a good sense of taste ;)

I should make something like that instead of the chinsy plastic case I keep my driving glasses in.

That is very nice!

Jim, So one issue I have is I have a number of different pairs of glasses, (Regular, Bifocal, Sun, Safety).

I've been thinking I need to make a 'rack' or stoIMG_5111.jpgIMG_5110.jpgrage cabinet of some sort for them.

It dawns on me you might be able to provide some direction on that? Right now I just have them laying on a shelf, and I do not think that is the optimal storage solution...

Brent,

For most people one glasses case per pair of glasses. Glasses tend to end up where they are used (examples: safety glasses in shop and/or yard tool area, dark glasses in car or same place as car keys or in a case by the door you go through to the yard and/or car, etc.)

A glasses case should be appropriate to the glasses such as: Safety glasses are usually quite bulky because of side-shields so they need a much larger case than reading glasses. Outdoor glasses frequently move around, out to the patio, into the car, etc. Reading glasses tend to be used in quiet places such as reading in the den, at a desk, and to make a liar out of myself, in the shop. For most people a small frame, a light, small, hard case without crowding the glasses. If you have to stuff the glasses into the case or use pressure to close the lid, the glasses will keep going out of adjustment. I say hard case because they tend to get dropped a lot more frequently (bend over and glasses drop out of shirt pocket etc.) than glasses that stay on your face (getting them out of a purse or pocket, putting them on and taking them off, knocking them off of the shelf you laid them on temporarily, etc. are common ways to "drop" glasses).

You can find cases designed to hold two pair of glasses. However, they tend to be bulky and yet crowd the glasses that are in them.

Glasses are like clothes in that no one type is appropriate for all occasions; think racket ball, formal dinner, pounding nails into a rafter. So different glasses need different kinds of cases (one size does NOT fit all).

I have a case on the wall by the door...I will take a pic. One pair of safety glasses is in a cabinet in the garage in an open, padded, box. The cabinet door is always closed unless I am getting something out of the cabinet, otherwise there would be a cover on the box. That's another pic. I have a pair of outdoor glasses in a case on the tray with my billfold, car keys, etc. in the entry hall closet.

Summary: I doubt if you would be happy with one glasses station for all of your eyewear. Put the glasses where you use them or where you will stop anyway (like get driver's license and car keys on the way out). Do NOT crowd the glasses in their cases. Most of the time a hard case will be the best choice.

OK diarrhea keyboard Bradley will shut up now. If you have a specific question don't hesitate to PM Jim C Bradleyl

Enjoy,
JimB

That is a really classic looking case Jim. I'd have guessed from the 30's so it must have been someone in the 50's had a good sense of taste ;)

I should make something like that instead of the chinsy plastic case I keep my driving glasses in.

From the 50's Ryan. I could not resist taking a pic of this vinyl (or whatever) metal glasses case. I think they did a darn good job of making it look like wood, especially considering the time when it was made. There have been a couple threads in the past about making wood glasses cases. I think there was one on Saw Mill Creek and one on Family Woodworking. The problem is that wood cases can really look neat, however they become quite bulky and just don't get used.

However, a wooden case could be practical in a car, in a workshop or on a desk.

Enjoy,
JimB

Last edited:
Central storage

Brent,

If you do make a central glasses station leave more room for the glasses than you think you need---you will not be sorry. You want to easily and quickly grab your glasses without skinning your knuckles or scratching lenses.

Enjoy,
JimB

Ah so it's faux wood. No reason not to replicate it out of real wood though. It seems like it could be fairly light if glue lamed out of veneer. Wouldn't be quite as strong, but for a show case (pun intended) it should be OK.

Still like the styling :)