signs for my sister

Dan Noren

Staff member
when i got to our dad's this morning, my sister and one of the grand nephews (braxton) were there. after playing with the lil guy, my sister asked if i could make some signs for her with the names of the kids (aalana, braxton, camden, and maverick (aka football)). goes without saying, i showed her what could be done with the cnc, and she asked if i could make them today. i said sure (thinking i could have those running while i did other stuff). they are 3 inches by 7 inches, white oak. the one for aalana was first, and i think i lucked out on that one, as the next one promptly got messed up. i increased the number of passes, and everything was good again. got three of them done, and going to get the fourth one done tomorrow.

Attachments

• 001 blanks ready for planing.jpg
    001 blanks ready for planing.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 23
  • 008 sign for maverick.jpg
    008 sign for maverick.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 007 sign for camden.jpg
    007 sign for camden.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 006 start of camdens sign.jpg
    006 start of camdens sign.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 005 aalanas sign.jpg
    005 aalanas sign.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 004 start of first sign.jpg
    004 start of first sign.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 003 blanks cut to size.jpg
    003 blanks cut to size.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 002 blanks planed.jpg
    002 blanks planed.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 23
Nice job Dan! I'm sure you've got some happy clients there. :thumb:

The 1/4" cutters I use have to be slowed down and ramp the cuts on oak, otherwise I end up with high spots too, partially due to the flex I have in my Y axis.

Doesn't she know that Maverick doesn't begin with D - considering the first three names Aalana, Braxton, and Camden?

The signs look good in spite of the misspelling in Maverick's name

started the last one this morning. planed it to thickness, and cut to size. got it running while i was working on the dining chair. gave all 3 (braxton, camden, and maverick) to my sister, she was quite happy with them.

Attachments

• 009 blank for last sign planed.jpg
    009 blank for last sign planed.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 010 cut to size and start of milling.jpg
    010 cut to size and start of milling.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 011 sign for braxton.jpg
    011 sign for braxton.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 11
Your signs are looking good, Dan.

The kerning, especially on the 'eric' in Maverick should be adjusted so the letters don't run together.

I've used oak occasionally, but don't anymore because it has a tendency to chip out.