Shaper cutters

Joe Acquisto

Has anyone used a sears molding head on a shaper? I have used the molding head on a table saw with good results . The shaper is a shop fox 2 horse

Last edited:
I'd agree with Jim, those were designed to be used with a TS or RAS with the lower rpms. I've used mine on my RAS, but mostly as my dad was helping me and he was using the TS for some other tasks, mostly use it on the TS.

Let me ask a stupid question. I remember years ago, people getting custom blades for their shapers. Now I was not old enough to remember the whole thing, but I am wondering if there would be some middle ground maybe. I seem to remember some shaper head, that used replaceable cutters, for customer moldings (don't know if it was a vertical shaper, or shaper in some molding machine). Could these cutters themselves, be used on a shaper head? (if the bolt pattern lined up, of course)

... I remember years ago, people getting custom blades for their shapers. ... I seem to remember some shaper head, that used replaceable cutters, for customer moldings (don't know if it was a vertical shaper, or shaper in some molding machine). Could these cutters themselves, be used on a shaper head? (if the bolt pattern lined up, of course)

I have one of the shaper heads that take insert cutters. Yes you can have custom profiles made (the one pair I had made cost $75 plus shipping). The cutters for that head are much larger and have precise alignment points. I haven't explored using my old tablesaw molding head cutters, but doubt if they would fit, and certainly don't have the European standard alignment points.