Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little book binding.

A little book binding.

I wanted a new sketch book.. so.. I'm making one. No idea what I'm doing, but that's never stopped me before

Roughly following the directions from here:
    http://www.jamiebutler.com/tutorials/bookbinding1.php

First step was to fold the "folios" which are basically pieces of paper folded in half and then nested together. I'm using 10 folios of 5 pieces of paper each (so 100 pages not counting that you loose two for the cover, so 98 usable). No pictures of that...

Once that's done you punch holes through the fold and then stitch them all together with "tape" (pieces of cloth) tucked into the stitches. The tape will be glued down later.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160807_175518202.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	96802

Name:	IMG_20160807_175825463.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	96803

Then you put glue in the crack between the folios and clamp it for a while (no pics of this) and then the tape is glued to the outside. The scrap if paper in the middle is wax (actually butcher) paper to prevent any accidental bleed of the glue into the inside pages.

Name:	IMG_20160807_184254125.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	96804

A piece of cloth is then glued over the whole back and outside pages and clamp the whole thing overnight.

Name:	IMG_20160807_190420729.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	96805

To be continued.. later... we have some other team members in town this week so not sure when I'm going to get a chance to get back to it, by/before next weekend anyway
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

Are you using acid free glues and linen. I have a good sorce for buying conservation materials if you need one.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

I am using linen (because I had some) and waxed the thread with beeswax, but have just been using DAP weldwood contact cement for the glue (a bunch of places recommended it as easy for beginners and I already had some), I don't think its exactly acid "free" but perhaps a better than some alternatives. The paper is high bond (and high cotton content) paper aka "resume paper", mostly because I prefer writing on it, and have a couple of reams stashed in the office. Sacrificing 50 sheets for an experiment was within my risk envelope.

I was actually pretty sure that the whole project was going to be an unmitigated disaster and was half prepared to write it off to experience, but so far its been only a mitigated disaster. If it continues on as well as its been going so far I'll have to give it another go with better materials and perhaps improve the tooling a smidge (the "not at all a book press" isn't as convenient as a primitive "almost a real book press" would be).

I do have a couple of other things that I'd like to print and bind if this works out so am definitely interested in using better quality materials if I end up doing that.

I was actually considering using hot hide glue for the second attempt, although I haven't really tried using it for anything quite like this before... I figured if I was going traditional.. might as well go traditional I'm not quite sure what to used for the boards in that case though, I don't think single ply would be stable enough? and I'm not quite convinced of my ability to make a thin enough three ply from scratch (although might take a shot at it because the worst that happens is it doesn't work..).

If you have other beginner resources or suggestions I'd be quite happy to hear about them, like I said ... I really have no idea what I'm doing here other than reading a couple of online articles but figured it wasn't a super expensive experiment to try. So far its been a fun project. A+ would recommend attempting.

And so you get hooked , maybe you like paper so much I've seen people go off in directions making paper.
    Very interesting texture to work with. After all it is wood.

Check this supplier out. You'll find all you need.

Dave
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

Dave, link appears to have gotten dropped.

Hah, well.. I've considered that before... There is a lot of nice paper already out there though so unless I was planning to do something absurd.. https://www.poopoopaper.com/en/ .. its likely not worth it Although it might be fun to make some actual mulberry paper sometime...

I'll send a PM

Interesting project. Never done anything like that before. Cool!

Thanks Dave - http://talasonline.com/ - you're right they do have everything I could possibly imagine around book binding and related fields and then a little bit more If nothing else its a fascinating collection of items to base further exploration off of.

Ryan when I find sites like this, my imagination kicks in. What can I do with this or that. Is it a technique I can use to promote and build on my talent. Looks like a place you might like. Glad I could help out.

There are definitely a handful of items there that got me thinking ... but I could MAKE that!! ..

The bone folders in particular - I have a set of antique origami folders but they're a bit light for the heavier paper I'm using here (still worked pretty well though). I have a nice selection of elk shins (don't ask... there are crochet hooks in my future...) that I'll likely have some off cuts from that should work pretty well.

I also liked the little skiving machine they have... not quite $350 worth of liking... buuut.. it looks very reproducible.

Of course I needed more projects like a hole in the head Not that I can throw any stones on the enablement side