Is your shop air conditioned?

Tom Baugues

My shop is not air conditioned. When it gets real hot I simply don't go out there. However, as I get older I look for ways to my my life more enjoyable so I'm going to look for a way to add it.
However until then I was just curious.....is your shop air conditioned?

EDIT.....I just noticed there is a similar thread currently posted. You can ignore this one.
A mod can completely remove this if they want.

Last edited:
My office in the shop has a window ac unit, I run a small thermostat controlled heater in the winter, but the rest of the shop is unconditioned. It's only and 8' x 8' office, but gives me a chance to go in and cool off or warm up. On days like today where it's 106* heat index, I'll skip going out there all together. On days where it's not quite this hot and any breeze, I can usually open both doors (front and back) and let the breeze blow through and be comfortable. If we decide to stay here, I'll someday insulate and enclose the ceiling to be able to heat it in the winter, but doubt I'd do an a/c unit other than on the office area.

My shop has no AC. Or, heating. It's a metal 3 car garage open in the front. I have two of those old swamp coolers blowing on me, without the water. Sure don't want that blowing on power equipment. They move a tremendous amount of air with is a good thing when it's getting up to 104-106, and that's without the heat index. When it is in the dead heat of the summer, I am only out there from the moment there is enough sunshine for me to see and have enough coffee in me to function. I stop working usually around 2pm and by then it's hit around 100 or so. I have thermometer over the lathe and when it shows about 95, with the fans blowing, it's at least a 100 outside. So, that's time to shut the machinery down. I usually have a few small things left to do outside before I shut down for the day.

More concerned about heating than cooling in this part of the world. We might get a week or two where the temp would touch 90F and people think we're all gonna die! I have great cross ventilation and have never had a problem with summertime condensation/rusting.
Heating is by a ceiling mounted 4800 watt electric unit heater. In the winter we can get strange weather spikes up to +10C for a day, which will cause major sweating on previously frozen surfaces in the unheated part of the barn.

More concerned about heating than cooling in this part of the world. We might get a week or two where the temp would touch 90F and people think we're all gonna die! I

Kind of the same here. No a/c in the house except in the bedroom. We usually don't have more than a few weeks of hot humid weather in the summer months. The past few days have been brutal though.
Winter is heated by forced hot air. Even when it's below ) outside the shop stays at about 60-65 degrees.

My shop is about 36x24. I have an 8,000BTU window AC unit that I keep at 85° just to knock off a little heat on really hot days. I also have a thermostat-controlled electric heater I run in Winter to keep the shop at 50°. When I'm working on cold days, it doesn't take too long for the DC and tools to warm up the shop more.

:threadjacked:

My Shop isn't airconditioned, but I have a box about 2'x2'x4' I made that I use for fermenting beer that uses a 5000btu AC unit to maintain temps. I have a little heater I put in there for winter and a dual purpose temp controller to maintain the temp.

Wait, What was this about?

Ok, Back to your regularly scheduled programming....

My Shop isn't airconditioned, but I have a box about 2'x2'x4' I made that I use for fermenting beer that uses a 5000btu AC unit to maintain temps. I have a little heater I put in there for winter and a dual purpose temp controller to maintain the temp.
:rofl:

My shop isn't air conditioned either, although it would be real nice for about 2 or 3 months in the summer! In the winter I have a portable electric heater that gets it up just above gloves temperature if you point it at you as long as its not super cold outside.

I have a 2000btu AC unit that keeps my 4'x8'x3' wine and beer cellar cool though, and sometimes I ferment beer in that as well. Priorities I guess :rofl:

:rofl:
I have a 2000btu AC unit that keeps my 4'x8'x3' wine and beer cellar cool though, and sometimes I ferment beer in that as well. Priorities I guess :rofl:

I reckon my 5000btu unit is over kill then. But I can freeze 10 gallons of beer pretty easy if I want to in it, DAMHIKT... :D

My shop is not air conditioned either, but sits under two big trees that shade it nicely...the building itself is made from a corrugated metal and has lots of air spaces that wouldn't hold A/C anyway, plus I like to work with the double doors open in front of the lathe so as to not feel so closed in.

I do run a 20" box fan I've set on a pedestal so it's high enough to hit me in the back and shoulders.... in winter I have a small oil type radiator that I set close by to add a little heat.

My shop is air conditioned and I consider that as important as any of my good tools. The thermometer on the wall outside has been reading on or close to 100 degrees for many days this summer. Shop is well insulated and a wall mounted 12000 bty unit does a great job of letting allowing me to work in comfort. Works for me

I usually put in 2 window units in summer, but not this year.

I really have not spent much time in the shop due to other major projects I am working on.

I will build in the 2 window units into permenant installations, maybe next year.