Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doorlink, Thomas, and the buzzbi guitar

Doorlink, Thomas, and the buzzbi guitar

Hey, folks,

I'm posting this so Doorlink can post. Thomas said "can we do x?". I said, "what, are you crazy?" Doorlink said "can't you do that? I bet the guys on your site could figure it out! Nannynannybooboo!" I said 'fine, write them and ask how they'd do it..."

Thanks,

Bill

hungh???????
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

What??
    Live Like You Mean It!!

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    hungh???????
    Ditto.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hi!

So who out there can understand what Thomas is talking about so that Bill can figure out how to construct the guitar of Thomas' dreams?

Here's what Thomas had to say about the project after he saw these photos: http://faculty.cua.edu/lantry/guitarforthetom/index.htm :

It actually looks REALLY nice. It looks like a cross between my les paul and my sg, which is cool.

He wants a midi pickup on it, as opposed to an amplifier pickup, preferring it be built in:

The Roland GK-3 is the actual pickup. ROLGKKITGT3 might be
    good if you want to mount the pickup like a real pickup. It looks like this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLGKKITGT3 .

But here's where Bill thinks he's going over the top, and maybe even getting a little scary:

Could you put a motor or something in it so that the body can vibrate and create a drone or something? I'm thinking a battery (maybe 9 volt) into a dial controlling off to on and then speed of motor as you turn it more. This should probably be located on the bottom face opposite the knobs across the bridge. Also can there be a compartment on the back in which I can screw in a vile of my own blood.

Yes, he's our son, and, yes, we hope he's kidding (about the blood). Any advice on what kind of vibrating thingie with dialable variable speed would do the trick, and how can he hook up a changeable battery?

Thanks,

Doorlink

calling vaughn..............
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Snip... Could you put a motor or something in it so that the body can vibrate and create a drone or something? I'm thinking a battery (maybe 9 volt) into a dial controlling off to on and then speed of motor as you turn it more. This should probably be located on the bottom face opposite the knobs across the bridge. Also can there be a compartment on the back in which I can screw in a vile of my own blood. Any advice on what kind of vibrating thingie with dialable variable speed would do the trick,

Well.... I hate to say it, but what about an adult ....
    na ... never mind....
    Last edited by Dave Trask; 05-10-2007 at 02:11 PM.

Ok I got it!
    How about a mini personal battery operated back and shoulder massager.
    Tear that bad boy apart and modify it to attach onto the guitar or strap it to your finger.

And the band played on......... a one and a two and a....

Bill, the MIDI pickup shouldn't be too difficult, since it will come with instructions.

The vibrating drone motor inside is a new one to me (and I've been doing guitar stuff for over 40 years). The closest thing I've seen would be the Ebow (http://www.ebow.com/), but it's a bit different than a drone.

I suppose you could do as Dave suggested and remove the motor and such from a "personal" vibrator, but I don't think it'd have the desired effect. If Thomas knows of (or has read about) someone who's done this, maybe he has some ideas how to do it himself, or he can get you better details of how it's been done by others. If it's just a bright idea that needs to be tried out, I'd try it first on a old beater guitar instead of a brand-new quilted maple kit. Battery compartments aren't too difficult...just a matter of routing out a hole with a lip on it, then buying or making a plate to cover the hole. But it'd be a shame to route out the hole and go through a lot of work, only to find the vibrating guitar didn't deliver the desired "pleasure". (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

At some point, it might make more sense to teach Thomas how to run the router and drill, so he can make his own modifications. When I was in about 6th or 7th grade, my mom got tired of me asking her to alter my blue jeans, so she taught me how to run the sewing machine, then told me I could alter to my heart's content.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com