need some ideas for seat change

Wonder what she envisions of a chair designed for reed seats. I would think something else would look sort of odd with that style of chair. But then, as they say, there is no accounting for taste - especially mine!

We had a set of 6 ladder back chairs similar to those... the reed (actually twisted paper) bottom had been sat out of them.
As an expediency, I cut 1/2 plywood seats and cut out round slots for the posts... we put pillow type cushions on the seats.
Then LOML wanted a smaller table for the dining area, so the chairs were donated to habitat store.

My mom used to buy these seat cushions, that looked to me like pillows you tried to the chair, for the dining room table. This seems like an option that would keep them original, without having to try to put a plywood base on these.

From your pictures, not sure they are antiques, but they do appear to be nice chairs... personally I like the reed seats... much more comfortable to my bony butt than 1/2" plywood was. I liked my cushion on the seat.

What a great article, Ted. Also let's Larry know exactly what he is getting into. As in how much work there is and then to price it accordingly. Good luck, Larry.

they want cushioning for there behinds bill:)
they liked this:
Ladderback Chair.jpgdave R gave me some assistance:) now couldnt i just put a thin plywood bottom to attach the cloth or leather to? and staple with narrow crown staples?

one thing she forgot, was air holes in the plywood for air to escape when someone sits on the chair, and let air back into the cushion when they get up. everything is covered by the black cambric cover.