Weirdest thing I've seen in a very long time..

Tony Falotico

We spent all afternoon in a smoke plume that drifted south from the Georgia fire. It was weird. About 2:00 pm it began turning an eiry yellow outside, by 3:00 it was getting dark, by 5:00 it was like nighttime, all the street lights and night lights had come on. It's been 'snowing' ashes all afternoon, there was a layer on my truck when I left the office today. Luckily the smoke itself didn't settle, but we are staying indoors until this passes. Weirdest thing I've seen in a long time, reminds me of the Science Fiction movies we saw in the 50's and 60's.

The fire itself has dropped down into Florida one county east of us...... Hope it rains real soon before it comes through the forest and hits populated areas.

My sympathies Tony! We go through that every few years here. Last year it rained ashes and we had strange afternoon skies for about 2 weeks.

Tony,

I can totally relate!

Our evening weather forecast includes a 'smoke forecast' for those fires. I really feel for those in Ware county in Georgia. It's been devastating! I drove to Jacksonville from Georgia while the fires were developing, and it wasn't a pleasant trip.

I hope your air clears up soon.
- Marty -

Hi Tony,

I have been wondering how you were making out up there. I was going to send you a message but you beat me to it with the thread. I was a little worried about Don Taylor but we have had a message going on for a couple of days and he is making out about like you. Nothing is burning right around here but if it does not rain soon it is just a matter of time.

Keep us informed.

Allen

Tony

Not good! The other morning down here in Vero the rising sun was just a red disk in the eastern sky. Must have been high level smoke because we couldn't smell anything.

Jay

This is not good....

Another fire broke out in northern Columbia County late yesterday afternoon and is burning out of control southerly towards Lake City. Firefighters from several surrounding counties have moved in overnight and are setting up a front to keep it north of I-10. If it crosses the interstate we are in deep trouble. Luckily, it has slowed down overnight and did not progress as anticipated. On the down side, dry air from the north and predicted high winds today may intensify it and continue to push it south. Chances of any significant rain are low.

I am just south of town and in no immediate danger. My son & dil are north of town and south of I-10, if it crosses the interstate they will be evacuated. There is heavy smoke this morning with a layer of ash over everything, including some larger black burned chunks that worry me. If a 'hot' one lands in the wrong spot we have another fire. I'm on wooded acreage, so I'll be making the rounds keeping a close eye on things. I have to report to work this morning and report in to the Emergency Op's Center and will be on call until this over. My SIL is a firefighter so he's gone for the duration. My son is a corrections officer and is on 24 hour alert / call in case they have to start moving inmates out.

The house is closed up but I'm beginning to detect a slight smoke odor. This ain't good.

I just saw a report from CNN from Lake City, Fl. (Tony). It does not look good up there. They did show about fifty fire trucks lined up. I guess that they are waiting to try to keep the fire from jumping Interstate 10. One hour previous they were doing a report from Starke, Fl (Don Taylor). There may be other members in that area. You guys may want to come down here to Tropical Southwest Florida and wait it out here. Just let me know and we will start getting out bedding.

Last edited:
Holding our own.....

Areas close to the fire were evacuated Thursday and Friday ... it was not extensive. To my knowledge, there have been no new evacuations today. The area the fire is in is not heavily populated.

Since yesterday the fire has slowed down considerably and is not advancing. The winds have died down and changed direction tending to blow the fire back onto burned areas. It is still large and dangerous, but they have been successful in keeping away from populated areas. It has not reached I-10 yet, they were able to contain it about six miles north. The interstates (both I-10 & I-75) were closed today due to heavy smoke, but I understand they have been reopened late this afternoon.

Hopefully we will get rain tomorrow. It is still pretty smoky outside, although there have been some isolated clear patches drifting by today.