Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK guys I need help

OK guys I need help

Have a neighbor that just had a 3' chineese? elm cut down . Some beuiftul grain in the Y and burls. Says that I can have all that I want of the big stuf, burls and Y's . Is this any good for turning ? Let me know as I have help coming in the morning (Friday) to help me get it back on the stump and block it out . How do I block it???? I have sharp chains for my sthil 026 which will take care of the project, I think. Only have a 18" bar on it, but still think I can block it our if I knew it was worth the effort.
    Thanks for your help,
    Chuck

Chuck...should be good turning....IMHO ...any green wood is good turning even if you are just using it to get some practice .....If you want to make bowl blanks....you need some green wood sealer or some latex paint and seal it. Good luck and enjoy!

Looks like you have some "neighbors" in Illinois (link) who actually sell the stuff in lumber form. (Search for "Chinese elm" on their page.) So it can't be TOO bad!

Just curious - does the grain look anything like the Texas-based stuff on THIS PAGE? If so, I would say to grab up as much as you have drying space for!

As far as the "How To" ... check out Bill Grumbine's Sawing a Log for Bowl Blanks page.

Errr ... I just spotted another of Bill's pages, called Harvesting a LARGE Tree

Be safe!
    Last edited by Kerry Burton; 05-11-2007 at 02:04 AM.

Chuck Chinese Elm turns great. I have turned a ton of it. Really nice wood and grain. It wants to move some. I haven't had much trouble by roughing bowls and boxes out then soaking in DNA. Here are a 3 of my turning from Elm.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 05-11-2007 at 03:31 AM.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ken,
    When you say to seal the green wood, do you mean the ends or paint the whole piece?
    Kerry,
    Yes this wood looks just like the Texas-based stuff. I split one of the "Y's" open with chain saw last evening. Looked just like the photo of the $25 piece. Thanks for the links .

Bernie that is some beautiful work . How long in the DNA and where can I get it?
    Thanks a million to all,
    Chuck

I think you can get DNA at just about any home center.

How long? 24 hours seems to be the standard.

Good luck, take pics!!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Chuck....typically you seal the end grain and may be a couple of inches up around the sides....If you use latex paint ...let it dry and give it a 2nd coat...I have had better luck with water based wax green wood sealers but Bernie has had good luck with latex and I think I remember him using 2 coats.

OK, thanks Ken,
    Now what do I do with these at this point . Still about 10 times this over to be picked up Good thing that I have a very good neighbor (27 year old weight lifter) that helped me get this much. Had to cut the one piece in half.
    What do I seal the chain saw cut with or do I?
    Thanks,
    Chuck

For now, anywhere that is cut, not bark, seal it up.

If you have no paint, and have not picked up the end sealer wax stuff yet, use white glue, and mix it 2/3 glue and 1/3 water, make the water warm, not "Hot" but warm, it will mix into the glue easier. The paint it on, don't try to save any, just flood the cuts.

Great looking wood!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks Stu,
    I have plenty of older latex paint from various projects around the house and shop. Guess it will not make any difference what color it is.
    Chuck