I got a new toy and George's question about chainsaws

Chuck Ellis

just reminded me I haven't posted my boast yet..... I literally have a ton of wood and no way to cut it, so yesterday I bit the bullet and bought another new chainsaw... I had a Sears Craftsman gas powered, but it stopped starting and try as I might I couldn't start it again... took it to my mechanic and he thought I might have a scored cylinder wall or something along that line... at any rate, it wouldn't start for him either.... I also have a couple of small electrics, but they're not going to handle the size logs I need to cut..... I picked up a new Stihl MS250 to work my wood with.... haven't had a chance to try it out yet, just got it yesterday after the wife's doctor's appointment which took most of the day.... then today we had an art group meeting for an upcoming show so the morning was short, then since we were close, decided to go on over to hospital lab and get her blood work done that's on a standing order there, stopped off on the way home at grocer's and then it was too hot (95 degrees) to go out and cut wood... tomorrow we'll have company all day, so will be Thursday before I might get to try it out... if Ed doesn't come in until Friday... if he comes in, then probably will be Friday before I can play with it... I'll have to load the truck sometime Friday for the market on Saturday, so if Friday falls through, it will be Sunday.

To me, nothing runs like a Stihl! They seem to keep on running and running. I have a friend who has one about the size you just bought. He neglects the simple maintenance on his like you would not believe and it just runs! My go to saw is the MS440 Magnum. Seems virtually indestructible. The only thing I have needed to do to it other than change the spark plug now and then is put a new fuel like on it and not long ago put a new chain sprocket on it. Not bad for a heavily used saw that's 11 years old. Keep the maintenance up on it and it will take care of you.

I did finally get a chance to play with the new toy.... what a sweet little saw... started right up and cut about 8 or 10 logs before it ran out of the half tank of gas the dealer put in.... I had to mow the grass, so reluctantly put it away until later... maybe today I'll have a little time to cut the logs I split into bowl blanks... most of the logs were smaller, maybe 9 to 10 inches diameter and less than 18" long, but two were bigger... one was a royal paulownia log that I had started cutting a while back and couldn't finish because the electric saw gave out... it was nearly 20 inches long and about 15 or 15 inches diameter...very stringy wood, but makes some really nice bowls..... the other log was a sycamore that was at least 22 or 23 inches long and about 16 inches diameter... I cut off the ends of this one to shorten to closer to the bar length... like slicing butter....

Love this saw.