Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Carol's House Build Thread

Congrats Carol. Just catching up. Ton in this thread i need to read will bank it for later.

Would love to see a drone view of this land of yours. Seems awfully small chip of land. Here i thought us Canadians lead the way in tiny lot category. Not for me. I don't want to even see my future neighbours.

You taking this on sure is inspirational. Every now and then you need to remind us young uns just how old you are so we don't use "getting old" as an excuse for not following our dreams.
    You sure are my kind of gal.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    ...Every now and then you need to remind us young uns just how old you are...
    She's actually 107 years old, but hides it well with good makeup and creative lighting. Well, that, and the fact that she can outwork most of us guys.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Good news! Got home form picking up the Craigslist shed. Checked email. Written confirmation of the variance approval! And of course they need more money. So having some lunch and then going to San Diego to pay them. Then there is a 10 day waiting period for whatever reason I cannot fathom. Then they will mail the written letter and drawings.

Yahoo!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    Then there is a 10 day waiting period for whatever reason I cannot fathom. Then they will mail the written letter and drawings.
    Cooling off period. Wouldn't want someone going off and putting in a septic system without thinking long and hard about it first.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Good news! Got home form picking up the Craigslist shed. Checked email. Written confirmation of the variance approval! And of course they need more money. So having some lunch and then going to San Diego to pay them. Then there is a 10 day waiting period for whatever reason I cannot fathom. Then they will mail the written letter and drawings.

Yahoo!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

The cooling off period is standard in all municipalities. It gives people a chance to slowly release the pent up frustration resulting from wading through the sometimes caustic bureaucratic process imposed on property owners before being able to do what you want on your own property.

Awesome news!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Just for this newcomers education, is this the end of the line for approvals and permits? I have come to feel this lot of yours has been a roller coaster ride so i an nervous to get excited for you in anticipation of the next municipal requirement.

So once you got this piece of paper are we G for go to start and complete the entire project?

While i am asking what may be stupid questions let me add another, are other states and their municipalities in the US equally as onerous as California and your municipal area has been thus far?
    cheers

The short answer to the permitting process is 'no'. Much more to go. As to other states, I have no experience and it is a mute issue. I ain't moving!

This simply determines the legal building envelope. I still have to come up with a house plan that fits, makes sense, complies with the rest of the county's building code, and is affordable. More roller coaster rides to come, I'm afraid. But I will take my victories as they come.

We have seismic and wildfire hazards that are accommodated in the local building code. Ain't as simple as slapping 2x4's up. In the end. the house should be as destruction proof as modern materials can make it.

Thus far, the septic plan is approved in writing. The setback variance is in its 10 day waiting period and the fees are all paid. The I get the written and stamped building envelop plan. Then the design process can be fine-tuned to fit. That is all I know for sure at this point.

Like eating the elephant. But we gotta get it done. There is a party here next July! Am arranging a Friday tour to the Sam Maloof compound and the Gamble house in Pasadena and a quilting event for those interested. And who knows what else. If you're coming, I want to make it worth your while. My personality isn't that scintillating.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

We have seismic and wildfire hazards that are accommodated in the local building code. Ain't as simple as slapping 2x4's up. In the end. the house should be as destruction proof as modern materials can make it.
    So your building a Monolithic Dome home then?

http://www.monolithic.org/domes
    http://www.monolithic.org/benefits/b...-survivability