Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Carol's House Build Thread

No dome. SIP's.

http://premiersips.com/
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Met with Kevin, the civil engineer today. Mapped a plan for going forward. Got his bill! Got a septic install estimate. Lower than I thought it would be, but then it isn't in yet. Next up is the plot plan for the county. He does that. Then I draw the footprint of the house and elevations. I make a model and go to the solar guys. They help design the roof. Then a trip to the contractor for a building cost estimate, panel company structural engineer., and foundation contractor. In between, a visit to the loan broker who needs all this paperwork as well. Goal is to submit plans by the end of October. Very ambitious I am told, so we will see.

Kevin had a great idea. Since I have a 35' height restriction, I have room for a loft/deck on top of the house. It can overlook the tree canopy of the canyon bellow me. Cool!

Think I will will be meeting myself coming and going!

Lots to do and soon.
    Last edited by Carol Reed; 09-16-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Carol Reed

Carol, I got to thinking about your project the other day and thought about the winter weather was hold you up about the time you would be getting started...then I remembered....California doesn't have winter. So, this will make a good winter project for us snow bound folks to watch.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baugues View Post
    Carol, I got to thinking about your project the other day and thought about the winter weather was hold you up about the time you would be getting started...then I remembered....California doesn't have winter. So, this will make a good winter project for us snow bound folks to watch.

good plan !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

"My personality isn't that scintillating." Ya but it spins at about 10,000 RPM & up & with sharp carbide you can keep your scintillating personality finely tuned.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    Met with Kevin, the civil engineer today. Mapped a plan for going forward. Got his bill! Got a septic install estimate. Lower than I thought it would be, but then it isn't in yet. Next up is the plot plan for the county. He does that. Then I draw the footprint of the house and elevations. I make a model and go to the solar guys. They help design the roof. Then a trip to the contractor for a building cost estimate, panel company structural engineer., and foundation contractor. In between, a visit to the loan broker who needs all this paperwork as well. Goal is to submit plans by the end of October. Very ambitious I am told, so we will see.

Kevin had a great idea. Since I have a 35' height restriction, I have room for a loft/deck on top of the house. It can overlook the tree canopy of the canyon bellow me. Cool!

Think I will will be meeting myself coming and going!

Lots to do and soon.
    That loft deck sounds like a wonderful idea. Would be similar to a so called widows walk near the coast. Would be an awesome place to wind down...

Go get em Carol. I will follow and learn with great interest. Thanks for the detail. You sure dont take the easy road.
    cheers

After catching up on your process to build, and all the paperwork you've completed, with what appears to be much more to come.

I have a question. Is the domicile going to be big enough to hold the paper work that's required to build this home?

Curious minds, or in my case simple minds want to know.

Funny, Karl! I hope so.

Design is nearly done. Some roof details remain. Pictures soon.

Picked up door and window catalogs at Loews while I was out earlier today. So back to drawing house plans for a while. Beginning to like the design. Mediterranean with burgundy tile roof over creamy white stucco, French doors, and two decks so far; one off the kitchen and one off the second bedroom over the garage. No loft as I had enough height available for a full height room over the upper garage- ergo, the second bedroom allowed by the county. Won't have to sleep in the shop when I have guests. Even a small balcony on the front upper level with French doors opening into the living room, allowing sun and air in. Has good curb appeal to my eye thus far.

Discovered Styrotrim in the SketchUp warehouse. House will have some detail so as not to look like a plain jane. http://www.styrotrim.com/
    Last edited by Carol Reed; 10-08-2016 at 08:53 PM. Reason: more info
    ++++++

Carol Reed

have seen styro trim products in use.. you may have as well,, i think its a dollar store or target the 0ne that has a large crown molding arch above its front door.. that is all styrofoam up here then stucco over that i saw them building a new one up here and the pieces were huge but one man applied them with construction adhesive then the crew stuccoed over that. the one i saw was arched frnt with thick crown molding look

more

styro foam trim

Last edited by larry merlau; 10-09-2016 at 01:01 AM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!