I got the Grip-Tite

Allen Bookout

Last week I started a thread asking about the Grip-Tite. There was not a whole lot of response but the ones that I did get were positive. I hate buying something like this without trying it out as some of those guys that demonstrate products can make it look better than it is. I though that it was a little expensive for what I saw but I went ahead and ordered it anyway. I opened the package and was a little dissapointed as they were smaller than I expected, I don't know why I was expecting something larger. Well let me tell you, I have been using them for the last couple of days and I am REALLY impressed. They are great for holding a board flat against the jointer fence. They are even better used on the tablesaw. As far as I am concerned they are the best safety device that I have and as a plus they hold to the fence and hold down the workpiece and they appear as though they will be effective agains kickbacks.

If you have been on the fence about purchasing them-----just do it. Did I say that I like these things?

Below is a picture using the Grip-Tites trimming a long board with dados cut crossways. I figured this would be a good test to see if they would be effective riding over uneaven pieces. I guess that I will have to admit that this was not a planned test but was a result of a little mistake on my part. They worked great as they held the board to the fence and rode over the dados with no problem.

Grip-Tite1.jpg

Hi Rick,

The plate comes with four screws and the plate is predrilled and counter sunk so, as suggested, I just drilled through the face of the fence with a small self centering bit and then counter sunk the fence just a little and screwed it directly to the fence face. I guess that there are a lot of ways to do it. One solution if you want it removable is to screw it to a board and use the HoleClamp Set shown here: http://www.grip-tite.com/web pricelist.htm

So far I like it the way that I did it as I can still use the scale for quick fence adjustment.

I was in a hurry as I was building a couple of cabinets so I just used the fastest way that I could. I figure that if I find that I need to remove it very often that I will jump off that bridge when I get to it.

I bought mine from Amazon as their price was a lot less than the Grip-Tite web site was showing plus it was free shipping.

Last edited:
Allen

I have a set that I use on my little benchtop dewalt -- the metal plate rusted badly over last summer. You might want to give it a heavy coat of wax (if you haven't already)

They are good little devils

Jay

Jay,

I didn't know about the rust. I looked at the plate thinking about the rusting problem and it appeared to have some kind of coating so I was not worried about it. I will keep an eye one it.

Allen

Hey Allen,
Sorry I didn't see your earlier post. I'm a big fan of the grip tites. The best featherboard is the one you will use. Since the grip tites are so easy to put on and take off (no clamps) I actually use mine.

By the way, there are some plastic connectors on the grip tites that are a little flimsy. I have broken the thing that holds the wheel on a couple of times. Good news is that if you call the manufacturer, they are happy to mail you replacements at no charge.

By the way, there are some plastic connectors on the grip tites that are a little flimsy. I have broken the thing that holds the wheel on a couple of times. Good news is that if you call the manufacturer, they are happy to mail you replacements at no charge.

That is good to know Jesse. Are you talking about the small white shaft that goes through the wheels? I did notice that there was an extra one in the package so I guess that this is a weak point in the system. They sure are small little wheels but seem to do the job, that is if they do not break often.

That is good to know Jesse. Are you talking about the small white shaft that goes through the wheels? I did notice that there was an extra one in the package so I guess that this is a weak point in the system. They sure are small little wheels but seem to do the job, that is if they do not break often.
Yup, small plastic shaft (axle). I think the trick is to put very little pressure on them (shouldn't need to anyhow). When I first started using them, I really cranked them down hard and they complained:eek: