Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a new band saw blade

Got a new band saw blade

Ok last week I got to thinking I need a new BS blade, so I ordered a 1/2 inch Wood Slicer got here today. So took off the old blade, and has I was coiling it up to store it, it snapped..lol...now I got a 72 inch hack saw blade...guess it really was time to change to a new blade, glad it didn't break while I was sawing something, have had that happen and it is really scary.

Anyways I got a 1/2 inch Wood Slicer, it was covered in an orange paper wrapper...love that...it has been awhile since I have gotten a new BS blade, used to just show up with a twist tie holding in the loop and uncoiling was an adventure until you learned how to do it...anyways love the paper wrapper cause you can uncoil any old way completely safely...guess they have come along ways. But after I uncoiled it, I looked at the paper and it said "To Remove Wrapper Turn Blade Inside Out"...What...why the hell would I do that, how stupid is that...am I missing some thing. Until now I didn't need gloves and it was safe, now you want me to turn it inside out, what difference would that make, the paper is still going to on there, even if by some miracle, lets saw the paper just magically popped off, ok now I got a BS blade with no protection that I have to turn back inside out to orient the blade correctly on the BS, how is that safer. Needless to say I completely ignored that bit of info and just started peeling off the paper from one end to the the other, only took a minute or two and the blade went right onto the BS, no flipping etc...Why would Wood Slicer even suggest something that stupid, flipping a BS blade inside out is much more dangerous then uncoiling one, don't understand why you would make some thing safe then tell you to do some thing unsafe...makes no sense, unless I am missing some thing.
    Last edited by Mark E Smith; 08-24-2016 at 10:24 PM.

I dunno...I think it's pretty easy to turn a 1/2" blade inside out. But then again, I find it's easy to coil one back up after learning this trick.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I just had my bandsaw blade snap while cutting yesterday. First time I've ever had that happen. I had been thinking earlier that day about replacing the blade because I thought I could hear a little thumping sound as it ran. It snapped with a "bang". Uncoiling the new blade is an adventured. I just uncoiled a little then threw it on the ground outside. It hit the ground then "twang" opened right up. Saw sure cuts nicer with a new blade too.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I dunno...I think it's pretty easy to turn a 1/2" blade inside out. But then again, I find it's easy to coil one back up after learning this trick.
    Well I understand it may be easy for some, but my point is... if in the act of inverting the blade I am left without the paper and have to invert it back, why bother with the paper in the first place. Still not convinced that turning the blade inside out the paper would have come off in the first place, didn't try it because I thought it was stupid, but even if it did, if I have to turn the blade back inside out without the paper, then what was gained by putting the paper on it in the first place.

I agree Mark.
    Maybe we are missing something
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I guess I may not know any better. When I get a new one, I just undo the ties on it and toss it out on the ground. The old ones I carefully fold them up somewhat and use some duct tape to secure them and put it in the trash bin. Quick, simple and over with. I just would prefer to get it done and over with. Changing out the BS blade is one of those things that should go fast and easy. Should, anyway. Not always the case.

I not following on why it has to be turned inside out? are you saying they ship it turned inside out and you have to flip it so it runs right? Weird.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I not following on why it has to be turned inside out? are you saying they ship it turned inside out and you have to flip it so it runs right? Weird.
    No that was the deal, it was wrapped in paper and coiled correctly, after you uncoil it which was easy because it is wrapped. but on the paper it says to turn it inside out to remove the paper, which is ridiculous, because if you did that, it would be backwards and you would have to do it again to make it right, only this time without the paper, why would anyone do that just to remove the paper. The only reason anyone would flip a blade like that is if the rake was pointing up instead of down when putting on the saw, not just to remove paper, no matter how easy it was...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoskins View Post
    I guess I may not know any better. When I get a new one, I just undo the ties on it and toss it out on the ground. The old ones I carefully fold them up somewhat and use some duct tape to secure them and put it in the trash bin. Quick, simple and over with. I just would prefer to get it done and over with. Changing out the BS blade is one of those things that should go fast and easy. Should, anyway. Not always the case.
    That is what I was use too, coiled with ties, the Wood Slicer comes without ties, just wrapped in orange paper like this pic I found

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoodSlicer.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	97021

After you uncoil it, on the paper it says to remove the paper to turn inside out...

Maybe the machine they use to put the paper on was backwards, LOL
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash