Metal Lathe

Tom Bussey

I have wanted one of these for a long, long, time. It must have set for years without anything ever being touched. I just started scrapping crud off from the ways with a paint scraper. Anyway it is mine and it has a quick change gear box and for $100 US I am a very happy camper.
It took two of us just to slide it in the shop.

DSC02804.jpg DSC02806.jpg

Looks like maybe an old South Bend. Intended to run (originally) on a flat belt from an overhead main shaft, you'll either need to find some replacement sheaves (pulleys) for it, or else find/make a flat wheel sheave for your motor, and get a harness shop to make up a belt for you.

It'll be a great lathe when you get it up and running.

It does look like an old South Bend, but I am not sure it is. I haven't tried to clean the plate yet. If it is, it is an older one than the ones I learned on in school back in 1960. That was the start of me making a living as a tool and die maker for the next 50 or more years. So now I have come full circle.
The motor mount must weigh 100 pounds with the motor on it. It is cast and bolts to the floor, is hinged and is fastened to the late with turnbuckles. I have everything I need except for the belt. And we have a lot of Amish living close by.

It will take some time to get it running. I am building a work bench for my grandson for Christmas. I will post some pictures if anyone is interested in the process. And now my wife and I have a store that we open one week end a month. That is interesting because I move stuff out of the store into my shop so We can be open and then reverse it so I can get in my shop to work.
Pictures of the store.

DSC02770.jpg DSC02771.jpg DSC02772.jpg DSC02774.jpg DSC02775.jpg

Last edited: