Chosong a dust collector

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I sold my Oneida cyclone when I left Idaho as it was as small unit (500 CFM) and had the internal filter that was a real pain to keep clean. As the new shop gets closer to reality I know I need to chose a new collector. Budget is limited, so I think a cyclone is not in the cards this time. I've been checking Craig's list daily but there's not much help there. I've narrowed my search down to two Grizzly units. One with a canister, the other with bags. The canister unit pulls 1700 CFM @10 inches, the bag unit 2300 CFM at 16 inches. They are essentially the same price, $450. The trade off is the filtration - 1 micron for the canister as opposed to 2.5 for the bag.

I think the 1700 CFM unit will work for my 2 car garage shop (I intend to pipe with PVC and centrally locate the collector to minimize runs). but bigger is better, right?

Given the two alternatives what would you chose?
Canister
Bags

Bigger and enclose the unit to further trap the fines, and put up a ceiling cleaner. The extra power should allow you to put the unit in a corner, rather than the center. And vent it to the outside.

Bigger is better if the pipes are the right size. If you're pulling through too small of a pipe then you're not gaining much. If the smaller one would suffice for the size of shop, I'd go with the 1 micron filter or add a Wynn to the bigger one to achieve that or even a .5 micron filter for that matter. Given the winters you have, I can't see you venting outside, but that would be a good choice too if you can.

Bigger is better if the pipes are the right size. If you're pulling through too small of a pipe then you're not gaining much. If the smaller one would suffice for the size of shop, I'd go with the 1 micron filter or add a Wynn to the bigger one to achieve that or even a .5 micron filter for that matter. Given the winters you have, I can't see you venting outside, but that would be a good choice too if you can.

I priced the Wynne conversion for the 3hp bagger and the grizzly unit with filters is better priced. Not comparing filter quality mind you just that the extra $200 for the G0562ZP doesn't look too bad price wise.

The point on pipe sizing is good, consider the whole system setup.

Thank you for the input. Unfortunately, Ryan, budget is very tight right now. I had extra $250 could pay for the installation of the attic over the shop. Got to watch my pennies. I like Carol's suggestion of getting the bag unit as I already have a air cleaner. The dust collector was scheduled to go in a closet with louver doors. My plan was to line the inside of those louvered doors with additional filtering something like furnace filters from the hardware store.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting one way or the other on the base unit, that's a tough call... More that the Wynne conversion unfortunately didn't so much to help the budget.

If you can isolate it fairly well, more gusto is more gusto so I'd take the most juice I could buy to start with and then upgrade the filter, etc later as budget allowed. I know I spent way more on my dc than if I'd bit the bullet earlier on, but I was kind of figuring it as a temporary solution that ended up a bit more permanent.

I guess price out what the extras cost to make sure you're not being penny wise and pound foolish. If you can put it closer, do you save enough in pipe, enclosure, etc.. to make up the cost of the better unit. Basically what's the best long term bang for the buck that you can afford to get into now considering total system cost (and maybe fudging the edges as needed).

No easy answers that's for sure.

Rennie,
If you get over my way, I have a 1 micron filter that I'll give you. It'll fit a 1½~2hp DC. I took it off my DC and installed a 7 foot high fabric bag from American Felt Fabrics. It's been sitting on a shelf in my barn for about 7 or 8 years.

Should you entertain the HF route, I have a 25% off coupon I'll scan for you that came in the mail today, good sept. 1st - 5th. ;)

I looked at the HF unit and there is a store about 40 min from me, however the filtration level is 5 microns as compared to either 1 or 2.5 for the Grizzley. HF does not list the static pressure but the cfm is lower than the Griz unit.

Jim, that's a very generous offer, thank you. Although you are much closer than you used to be it is still over 4 hours. I don't think I'll be passing close to you till next spring. If it's still in the barn then....

I have a 10% off coupon from Grizzley that expires today. I think I will probably go for the bag unit for the higher cfm and static pressure. I can work with the filtration difference by installing additional filters in the louvered closet doors and an ambient air cleaner.

Thanks to all for your input. It actually changed my mind. I had initially leaned to to the canister unit. Although there are still a few hours for me to change my mind again [emoji849]

Last edited:
Rennie

My DC is actually the regular 2 HP Grizzly model with bags top & bottom. I later added the filter & a skirt that fastened to the bottom of the bag rim & fit over a 30 gallon trash can. This skirt needs some modification, it needs an inner skirt that runs down on the inside of the trash can as chips hang up between the skirt & top of the trash can on the outside between the can & the skirt. I also turned the fan & motor assembly 90 degrees for a straight shot from the duct system. I also have the 6" intake which will go on when I set up shop again.

Attachments

• DC3.jpg
    DC3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
...Jim, that's a very generous offer, thank you. Although you are much closer than you used to be it is still over 4 hours. I don't think I'll be passing close to you till next spring. If it's still in the barn then...

It'll likely still be there.

BTW, it'll fit the HF dust collector, if that's the way you decide to go. With the filter up top, and a plastic bag (or barrel) below, you'd get your 1 micron filtration.