Solo Chair

Are you sure the carbon fiber is going in the right direction for this task? Looks like you are creating the equivalent of a flitch beam with your present plan. This would resist a sideways bending of the leg. Don't you really want to resist a bending of the leg into or away from the angle?
View attachment 97367

If that's the case, shouldn't the carbon fiber be laminated like this? Just a thought.
View attachment 97368

The leg is bent back 10 degrees and out to one side 7 degrees.
What I'm worried about is the short grain.

solo_leg1.jpg
solo_leg2.jpg
solo_leg3.jpg
That is sort of what the finished leg will look like.

It will be cut from a bent blank like this...

solo_leg4.jpg

solo_leg5.jpg

solo_leg6.jpg
The bend back is 10 degrees, that is what I'm bending now, when done, I'll then cut the bend of 7 degrees to the side.

I hope this makes sense.

New form is almost built, the UREA glue arrives tomorrow, and I've caught a cold and feel rather poorly.

new_form1.jpg

new_form2.jpg

new_form3.jpg

I have to smooth out the surfaces, and then put some end caps on it as well as side guides.
I'm going to make the concave piece on the bottom, put the thin pieces of wood into the form, and then the convex piece on top, use the weight of all that MDF to help with the clamping.
I'll cover the whole form with packing tape to keep things from sticking to it.

Wish me luck!

The glue has arrived, and yes, I have a fever and I'm feeling like I went two rounds with a gorilla LOL

I hope to get one leg glued up tonight.

Getting ready to mix up some glue, but I did a test run first with the jig...

IMG_1856.JPG

There it is in all it's glory, that is a bout 90% of a 3x6 18mm thick sheet of MDF.

IMG_1857.JPG

Loaded up enough pieces to make a leg

IMG_1858.JPG

I might be overdoing it on the clamps, but we shall see

IMG_1859.JPG

I could not get these two small spaced to close down, but I got very close, close enough I think.

Wish me luck!

OK the first glue up is done.
I've never used this glue before, I hope I did it right.

IMG_1863.JPG

I spooned it on to the surface then I used the vinyl roller to spread it around

IMG_1864.JPG

Seemed to work OK....?

IMG_1865.JPG

Glued up ready to go

IMG_1866.JPG

A close up of the glue up :D

Yes, I'm very curious to see how it turns out, as I'm really behind on this project.

The website says that pressure should be applied for 13 hours at the temps I have in my workshop, so it has been about that long I guess it's time to unclamp it.
Cheers!

Any spring back / did you give yourself an extra degree or two on the new jig to allow for that possibility?

I did not give myself any extra bend, I'd read that there would be no spring back, and they were correct, no spring back of any amount that matters :thumb:

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

I'm pleased!

Going to do the next one, and I think I might really like this glue too!

Looks like you got it mastered, but one additional suggestion that I forgot to mention. Some people put a pencil squiggle on the surface to be glued, to help them get the right thickness when it is rolled out... you can see the pencil mark through the glue so it helps confirm the thickness.

Looks like you got it mastered, but one additional suggestion that I forgot to mention. Some people put a pencil squiggle on the surface to be glued, to help them get the right thickness when it is rolled out... you can see the pencil mark through the glue so it helps confirm the thickness.

Thanks Charlie I'll try that.

The second glue up is done, went faster the second time, the roller idea really is the way to apply this glue on a flat surface, you can really feel the drag on the roller which gives you and idea of how thick the glue is, any dry spots and you feel it without even looking!

IMG_1870.JPG

I was maybe a bit too generous with the glue this time LOL

Cheers!

I was maybe a bit too generous with the glue this time LOL

Cheers!

No, that is just the automatic sensor so you can test how dry the glue is! Remember that this glue cures, not dependent on drying (or the center surface of each layer might never cure), so glue outside is a good indicator. If it is brittle, you are ready to go. If it is flexible, you need more time.

Thanks Charlie!

IMG_1871.JPG

Here are the two bent leg blanks, the edges have been run over the planer, so they are smooth and straight.

IMG_1872.JPG

No gaps here to speak of

IMG_1873.JPG

This is the very end, these pieces are going to be shortened by about 3-4 inches on each end, so the minor gaps here on the very end I am sure will disappear when cut to the correct length

IMG_1874.JPG

I'd say they have the same bend in them.

Now I have to lay out the leg on each one and then cut them out, after that it is on to the M&T joints and get this one out the door.

Cheers!

Those really look good, Stu. Nice and tight. Those are going to be super strong.:thumb::thumb:

Thanks Ted, that is the plan!

OK I'm still fighting a cold/flu, got very little sleep last night, so I'm going slower than I would hope, but getting it done.

I'm laying out the rear legs, they are now bent back 10° but I first had to verify that...

IMG_1878.JPG

Yep that looks like 10°

IMG_1879.JPG

An overview shot.

IMG_1881.JPG

Next up from the bend in the leg to the top of the chair is 352mm, I set that length on the tracing I did,
then from that measurement as zero down to the bottom of the leg is 750mm straight down and the leg kicks out 112mm,
and I'd say that is right on 112mm.

Happy with this for sure.

OK it is all bent correctly I've verified that, next up I have to layout the 7° splay to side for each leg, and then cut it.

Cheers!

Well done Stu, those new laminations look excellent. Really excited to see the finished product. Hope the cold gets better.
Thanks Rob, the cold is mostly gone, but I'm still behind, and this weekend I'm out of town working at another build for the Playground guys, I just never seem to get ahead!!

Cheers!