Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Rarely / only if circumstances indicate

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
I had a interesting thought on my own behaviour the other day. I had bought a magazine + t-shirt combination from a new vendor (intentionally unnamed) mostly as a show of support as I kind of liked what they were doing.

I got the magazine, but never got the t-shirt (they were having some delivery issues so kind of back burnered it, then kind of forgot about it for a few months until it was pretty late to complain). Not a huge deal in and of itself.

However, a while later I saw they were selling a kit of some other stuff that looked like a pretty good deal, was considering plunking down the money but then remembered "hey I never got my dang t-shirt".

Now I'm quite sure if I had contacted them back when it happened they'd have made the t-shirt deal right.. So its at least partially my fault. I also didn't buy the other kit, just sort of from a knee jerk reaction.

So I'm curious how "generous" you all are with this sort of thing. I'm also interested in your reasoning (so don't feel bounded by the poll, like all polls its just a broad set of inaccurate choices).

More interesting for you folks doing selling.. how many of your customers never "got their t-shirt"? How would you ever know?

Last edited:
Burn me once, shame on them. Burn me twice, shame on me! You danged sure ain't gonna get a third chance. If it is a worthwhile charity, I hear they can get a little bit overwhelmed by things at times and a lot of the stuff is run by volunteers. So, I will give them usually that other chance. But, no more. If I get burned by them twice, they will definitely know about it. And, I am not known for being politically correct, either. Actually as silly as it sounds, Ryan. I'd contact them about the t shirt. You might be surprised. I'm sure you are not the only one that the ball got dropped on.

It depends.

People make mistakes, sometimes more that once. I know I do.

If I am doing business with a person or business there is usually a person that I interact with. That person will generally give me a personality of the business.

Comcast for example is well known for their business customer support, and that shows in the declining model of their business. I still have comcast internet, but would switch off if there was a viable solution that would suit my needs. Comcast is one very strong reason I don't have a TV connection. Sooo, I would say very frequently.

Satellite TV, Dish, Direct, same as Comcast.

Sears is another. I don't do business with Sears any longer. I used to be there for everything. Clothes, tools, appliances, tires, car batteries.

There there are some good ones. At Olive Garden one time we had a bad experience and talked to the manager. She was more than helpful and made us feel good. We will go back.

Just recently my EBAY purchase. Full refund and keep the product, even though the product was not as advertised. I would buy from them again.

Amazon. They seem to always make it right, but will occasionally get it wrong. I will continue with them.

Sooo - it depends.

Yeah I will always give a chance to make it right. Usually the vendor is the one to answer the question, but I do give a chance.

Of course if the vendor is adamant, No, no more chances - and you do NOT want to be on that side of Leo.

Yeah, I got to thinking about this some when I was talking to a buddy who owns a pub about improving repeat customer retention.

The question that came up in my mind was how many people never complain but also never go back and/or tell their friends when they "didn't get their t-shirt". I'm using the t-shirt as a good example of something of relatively low value that doesn't really matter that much.. but still left a bit of an off impression. I guess the restaurant analogy would be "the salad dressing wasn't very good".. heh.

I probably should mail them, not doing so is an internal fault (but one I'm kind of curious how widespread it is).

I voted frequently... when I have reached a state of perfection, then I will expect others to have reached the same state... until then, if it's something I consider significant, I will notify the vendor and let them rectify the situation... only if they don't make any effort will I pass them
by and go another route. Most of the time, I've found that people will make effort to correct and make amends.

Good question.
I'm an extremely loyal customer as long as I'm treated fairly and my business seems to matter with the vendor. Quite often I am willing to pay higher prices if I have a positive relationship with them.

If I have a problem and the vendor is rude and/or unwilling to make the situation right I will never buy from them again.

By the way I have Direct TV. I seldom have any problems with my reception or hardware but they are always very helpful. Today my DVR kicked the bucket and Direct TV was there within hours to install a new one for free. Dish Network was a nightmare much like Comcast. I don't think anyone could make me switch.

I'd give your vendor another chance if I called them an reminded them about my tee shirt and got a sincere apology from them.

Put me in Bobs camp. Its a question of fairness. Mistakes are made across the board and will be as long as humans are involved and even when they not.

How the mistake is remedied i think is the key.

I think in your example the issue is they know they made a mistake in not supplying the t shirt because they had a shortage of stock. The t shirt was part of the order. That should have been seen to as a priority to fulfill.
I see it as different to let's say you ordering two separate items and them forgetting one and being unaware of not having packed it.

But in the same sense of fairness you should let them know and have a chance to make it right.

There are many things your buddy can do at the pub to improve customer retention. But thats another subject. :)

depends on past experience with the vendor

When a new vendor drops the ball they have botched every order I ever made from them! They are going to have to really impress me with the way they deal with the issue or I am another one who believes, "Mess things up once, vendor's fault. If I go back for seconds . . . ."

When I have an established relationship with someone and they handle the mistake in a reasonable manner I am much more inclined to overlook it.

I can also look on this from the vendor's point of view. I had a moderately busy storefront type business selling used auto parts. That was my primary business but I also had a wrecker service, a mechanic shop, usually one or two more automotive related business. Most operating out of the same building complex but some at one of several different locations, one across town, one twelve miles away. Needless to say, most days I was moving around a lot and had to rely on other people to run things properly when I wasn't available. This worked pretty well because everyone knew the customer was always right, except when he was wrong!

Real issues might have been one transaction in a thousand if that many. Normally any issue was taken care of tout de suite, and to the customer's satisfaction. However, it seemed like the odds were about one in three that if a customer had a legitimate complaint it would be someone that had a problem before. This isn't talking about people that wouldn't be pleased if you hung them with a new rope, I'm talking legitimate problems each time. One poor customer had a very legitimate gripe, three times in a row! Not the same thing, but still three real issues in a row. What are the odds? All I could do is apologize as I refunded the gentleman's money and tell him if the shoe was on the other foot I'd quit dealing with someone that I had that many headaches with too!

Hu

I voted rarely, but it really depends. If a new to me vendor blows it, I am less likely to give them another chance. If a long time vendor does it, I am more lenient. First impressions are hard to get over.

I currently have a vendor that I'm waiting on some supplies from, order was put in 3 weeks ago and not one response/update from them. Their site said that they usually have orders out in 3 to 4 weeks, but I was ordering parts, so didn't think it would be that long. I sent an inquiry last week and was given the "We've had a large amount of orders and it's taking a while" response. After looking at reviews for the vendor, it seems to be a trend, they are just slow at processing and customer service. Now if the parts arrive in the 3 to 4 week and are worth the wait, I'll probably order again as their prices were good.

I was chatting with someone about my amazon orders, I've had several hundred orders from them each year for the past few years, looking back at my history and I had several years I didn't order from them, and the previous year I had issues with an order, obviously they had lost my confidence in them, but eventually they improved. ;)

I've re-read this thread and need to amend my post slightly... actually I have a story to tell....

Back a few years I was the operations manager for the air freight department of a forwarding company... I had a rather large piece of freight that was shipped to a South American company by the only cargo lines that serviced the area. They lost my freight and when I filed claim for lost freight, the claim was denied. After several weeks of negotiations, we finally settled, but not to the customer's (my client) satisfaction and since the customer was a regular for me, I vowed not to use that carrier again... and routed a lot of freight around them to avoid them.... after a few months, my customer again came to me with a shipment to the same destination that was too large to route around and would only fit on the offending carriers aircraft, so I was forced to call them again. Customer service was always a little iffy with the carrier, getting quotes called back, getting on boards and confirmations of delivery etc.... when I was forced to call them again, I got a lovely lady on the phone who had joined them during my hiatus... she was most helpful, called right back with my quote, took my booking and confirmed it, confirmed the on board and the delivery..... I was very happy and it seemed that every time she called we would talk for 15 or 20 minutes. After about 6 months or so, the carrier held an open house and being a good forwarder always willing to smooze, I dropped in and visited... I met the lady I had been talking with for 6 months, said hello, had a beer and left. Three months later, the Houston Air Cargo Association held their Christmas party and I was invited by the carrier to be their guest. The party was okay at best, but I don't remember most of it, I spent most of the time talking with that same lovely lady and three months later we got married. It's been just over 24 years now and I'm glad I gave the carrier another chance.... I got the best deal ever out of that decision....

I believe you should never burn a bridge... you might need to cross it again and maybe will find your reward on the other side.

I will always complain if there is a problem.

Some people tell me not to complain, but I feel that is the wrong thing to do.

I believe if we don't complain the vendor/seller will never have the opportunity to improve. I think we are helping them by complaining. Now, I am NOT saying that we should a jerk about it. There is room to complain, constructively. Then there is destructive complaining. I am saying constructive complaining.

NOW, if the seller is willing to listen and accept constructive complaining and do something to improve, I will certainly look to build a relationship. Conversely, if there is a rejection of my complaint, well then, I will make it clear that I would be complaining there any longer

The problem for me is the poll doesn't have an it depends choice.
Let's start with the idea that all businesses will have problems, been mentioned and I agree. Some are self caused, others are communication issues (misunderstanding). Self caused can be several things, including fraud.
I once called a local computer store, to ask about an advertised item, and they said they had it in stock (SCSI cd rom). Because SCSI was typically in servers, it typically cost more, however my computer had it onboard, and I was able through several used stores to get devices for less then IDE, because I was one of very few that bought them. I drove out after the phone call, for them to tell me they didn't actually have them, and never carried them. I was later asked about this place by a LEO I know, due to reports of them selling stolen stuff. I was asked and they considered sending me there in a undercover position.
(haven't thought about that, in years)
Now is a business that is a franchise setup, the same as the parent?
My local Woodcraft, has done several things. I went out for a class, that was to be about the Tormek. They never even covered the Tormek but turned the class into a general sharpening class, and were pushing the waterstones they had on sale that weekend. I never bought any Tormek stuff there, nor have I taken any other classes I would be interested in. (fear of false advertising) I have gone there for small items and asked about some larger items, but in the case of the larger items, it has been a "we can get it in stock", when I can get it delivered to my house, for the same price, from them, without the redrive out. (had better luck with the web part, then the local store, learned to call on larger things)
Kind of like the joke:
Interviewer: What's your greatest weakness?
Me: Answering the semantics of a question but ignoring the pragmatics.
Interviewer: Could you give me an example?
Me: Yes I could.

I agree on the Comcast thing. Any time someone has a monopoly (in that case, government allowed), people are viewed as consumers, NOT CUSTOMERS.
Then I have had several times where between when I called, and went out there, things happen, like the last one was in someones cart, or they misunderstood what I wanted (separate rings and drip pans for hot plate, rather then all in one), etc. Those have normally been an apology for getting it wrong, with a try again.
Now there are also stores I would probably give another chance, but not the person that I dealt with.
Then there are places I have NEVER given a first chance. I have never eaten at a Hardies, due to a memory as a kid that involved a girl who was not all there, having found some baby mice, outside of one, and brought them to school, placing them in her locker, in a Hardies cup. Her locker was next to mine and she left them in it that weekend, without food/water/etc. Needless to say my locker smell, is still associated with them for me and I gag at the thought of going into one. (been more then 30 years ago)

I voted "Frequently" for the same reasons other have stated. But, if something isn't right, I'll make contact as high as necessary to resolve an issue. I prefer handling issues via email, but if a vendor makes me have to call on the phone, I'm doubly not pleased! :)

I've re-read this thread and need to amend my post slightly... actually I have a story to tell....

Back a few years I was the operations manager for the air freight department of a forwarding company... I had a rather large piece of freight that was shipped to a South American company by the only cargo lines that serviced the area. They lost my freight and when I filed claim for lost freight, the claim was denied. After several weeks of negotiations, we finally settled, but not to the customer's (my client) satisfaction and since the customer was a regular for me, I vowed not to use that carrier again... and routed a lot of freight around them to avoid them.... after a few months, my customer again came to me with a shipment to the same destination that was too large to route around and would only fit on the offending carriers aircraft, so I was forced to call them again. Customer service was always a little iffy with the carrier, getting quotes called back, getting on boards and confirmations of delivery etc.... when I was forced to call them again, I got a lovely lady on the phone who had joined them during my hiatus... she was most helpful, called right back with my quote, took my booking and confirmed it, confirmed the on board and the delivery..... I was very happy and it seemed that every time she called we would talk for 15 or 20 minutes. After about 6 months or so, the carrier held an open house and being a good forwarder always willing to smooze, I dropped in and visited... I met the lady I had been talking with for 6 months, said hello, had a beer and left. Three months later, the Houston Air Cargo Association held their Christmas party and I was invited by the carrier to be their guest. The party was okay at best, but I don't remember most of it, I spent most of the time talking with that same lovely lady and three months later we got married. It's been just over 24 years now and I'm glad I gave the carrier another chance.... I got the best deal ever out of that decision....

I believe you should never burn a bridge... you might need to cross it again and maybe will find your reward on the other side.

Chuck we need a like button... Great story..

Interesting conversation. I think most of you are more willing to work harder to resolve a problem than I usually am, it could be that most folks that feel like me just avoid this sort of discussion as well :) I'm kind of the "plenty of fish in the sea and move on" approach generally. I agree with Leo that is can certainly help them, but

The vendor that prompted my thought apologized and said that they were sending out a shirt... I might give them another chance on their new product :)

There are many things your buddy can do at the pub to improve customer retention. But thats another subject. :)

Boy and howdy we've had those conversations :rofl:

Edit: Chuck your story is pretty much the poster child for doing the opposite of what I usually do :thumb:

I will always complain if there is a problem.

Often I'm the guy who won't complain about things at the restaurant being bad, I just will never return. I remember reading an article about that some months ago; that this is fairly typical in Canada and was causing fits to an american chain trying to set up business here. According to the article the US customers were much more vocal when they were unhappy, which was good since the company could then know they need to make changes. I hope I'm not mangling the memory!!

I terms of just buying stuff, vs buying services, put me down in the "it depends" category. If I have a long relationship with a company (ie: Lee Valley) then I'd go back. If I've only bought something there once, then I might just go looking elsewhere.

Often I'm the guy who won't complain about things at the restaurant being bad, I just will never return. I remember reading an article about that some months ago; that this is fairly typical in Canada and was causing fits to an american chain trying to set up business here.

Wow great observation! I hadn't really thought about that, but coming from Canada myself and having lived in the states for a long time I can definitely see this being a regional cultural issue now that you mention it.

Plenty to think about from all the great responses really.

I also admit to being unreasonably loyal to companies (and people) that I end up liking sometimes well past when they deserve it.. so I guess slow to start, slow to stop :D

Some companies do not want any complaints. Don't bother me syndrome. The good companies will bend over backwards to make it right.
Those are the people that I will return after a mistake. They want to improve there image and keep your business.
David

For me, as always, it depends.

I make and sell stuff for a living. People have problems. If they tell me about them the very first thing I do is apologise and mean it. "I'm sorry you have a problem". And I am because it costs me money to put it right but if I don't know about it it costs me even more because I won't know about it but their friends will. So when I get notified of a problem I react quickly and specifically or, if I need more information to solve their problem I ask for the specific information - photos etc to see what needs to be done. I know it works and I know that everybody who tells me they have a problem walks away happy whatever it might cost me. Just a cost of doing business.

When I buy and something goes wrong a vendor gets one chance to make a first impression.

If the only way I can contact them is buried seven clicks deep on their website that was the first impression that they made and it wasn't a good one. They are saying they don't want me to bother them and I won't - ever again.

If I phone them and spend 5 minutes listening to alternating electronic greensleeves and recorded announcements telling me how important my call is - see above.

If I speak to them and they say they are going to get back/do something and never do......

If they have a clear link or phone number highly visible on their website, answer the phone in a reasonable time, sound like they know what they are talking about, do what they say they will do they may just have earned a lifetime customer because a business that puts things right is pretty much the same as one that gets things right.

So I guess the answer is they get a second chance if they make it easy for me to give them one but nobody gets a third chance.