Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman Lathe 351.217150 Not Running Properly

Craftsman Lathe 351.217150 Not Running Properly

Hopefully I didn't miss a post about this when doing a search. I got this lathe for free so decided to see if it would work. The Reeves drive pulleys and shaft needed to be polished so they would move back and forth freely. I lubricated all the bearings. I made sure all the shafts turned freely with no slop and they did. I ran the motor with no load on it and it seemed to run well. So I put it back together and turned it on. It started turning with a sort of loud whine. And as I turned the speed up it slowed the motor down and when I got to 2000 it was really slow. When I backed off the speed control to r.p.m. s picked up and the whine almost went away. I put a round dowel on the lathe and with a scraper tool I was almost able to stop the machine. The Reeve speed control seems to be working well. The motor drive belt isn't slipping. Is the motor shot? Is there something else wrong? Is the thing worth saving? Do you need more info? I have read enough to know Sears doesn't support this machine any more. Thanks for reading!

Because of what you are describing, I would think the problem is in the spindle shaft, and not in the motor or Reeves drive. I wonder if it would be worth replacing the bearings in the spindle shaft. If you haven't alreaady done so, it may be worth knocking out the spindle shaft and inspecting the bearings for wear.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

I think several of us have owned that lathe in the past. Although Roger's suggestion to look into the bearings is a good idea with just about any used lathe, I never had any issues with the bearings on mine, and I'm not sure how bad bearing would cause the speed to slow down as you increase the speed on the Reeves drive. The problems I had with mine were belt or wheel related. The recurring problem I had was with the the Reeves pulleys getting sticky and not moving on the shaft as they should. (It sounds like you've already handled that one, at least for now.) But I also had problems similar to what you've described when the Reeves belt got too worn, especially being able to stop the spindle with light cuts. Another issue I had was with the little toothed drive wheel that goes on the motor shaft. I ended up having to replace that wheel at one point because the teeth were wearing down and/or breaking off. Here's a shot of the new and old ones, old is on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive Wheel 1 800.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	97100

Although I turned some nice stuff on my Craftsman lathe, in the end I got tired of spending more time working on it than turning on it, so I sold it on Craigslist for about what I paid, and moved up to a better lathe.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the replies!

I do have a Rockwell-Delta lathe from 1956 which works just fine. I will check out the bearings on the spindle shaft. But when I had the lathe apart the bearings seemed very smooth. I will also look at the toothed drive on the motor shaft a little closer. Thanks for the pics! If that doesn't seem like it will be fixable I think I will just scrap it.

Do I need to click on something to turn the post orange? Thanks.

Please don't scrap it. There are those of us (me) who would be willing to re-build every piece of that lathe from the pan up. If within a couple of days drive from Central NC, I would be willing to quickly and efficiently get it out of your way for you.

It sounds to me like maybe there is something wrong with your motor. Can you tell me more about the motor, what voltage you are running it on, etc. ? Is it 3 phase or single phase ? Are you sure ? I'm asking this because electric motors that are not hooked up correctly, or have problems in their windings can, and do whine quite loudly. If they are not shut off quickly when they sound like this they usually let the magic smoke out.

Charley

Also worth trying to figure out where the noise is coming from - you can use a screwdriver as a makeshift stethoscope by putting the point on various parts and holding your ear up to the handle; it does an amazing job of amplifying the sound.

If its just the motor you can usually replace those for fairly low money as well.. but definitely worth trying to figure out what it wrong before getting to carried away.
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    ...It sounds to me like maybe there is something wrong with your motor. Can you tell me more about the motor, what voltage you are running it on, etc. ? Is it 3 phase or single phase ? Are you sure ? I'm asking this because electric motors that are not hooked up correctly, or have problems in their windings can, and do whine quite loudly. If they are not shut off quickly when they sound like this they usually let the magic smoke out.

Charley
    The motor in that model of Sears lathe is an oddball one, not a common NEMA form factor as far as I know. It's 120v single phase. You're right, the problem is quite possibly in the motor, but the replacement won't be as straightforward as it would be on most other lathes.

workingwoods.com

Okay, I won't give up on it yet. I live in Portland, Oregon. As far as I know it is a single phase motor although I don't know how to check that. I checked the wiring diagram shown in the manual and it can be wired for 220 or 110. It is wired for 110 according to the diagram provided in the manual. When I turn the speed up it does speed up some but then does slow down like it is laboring. If I back the speed down from say 2000 setting to 1600 it does speed up. However I am sure it is slower than the speed it is set at. And as stated previously I can almost stop it from turning using a scraper tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Suminski View Post
    ... If I back the speed down from say 2000 setting to 1600 it does speed up. However I am sure it is slower than the speed it is set at. And as stated previously I can almost stop it from turning using a scraper tool.
    This makes me strongly suspect the Reeves belt is shot or the Reeves pulleys are not adjusted correctly.

And yes, it's definitely a single phase motor, but that has nothing to do with the problem.

workingwoods.com