Held Off Watering Our Lawn

We've been getting an unusual amount of rain, especially in August this year. Not complaining cuz it keeps the lakes and rivers full. But where you are is getting far more than we are. Honestly I don't want to go through any more hurricanes and whatever. Went through three hurricanes on the east coast years back. Enough for me. I thought one back around 1980 was gonna wipe out MCRD Parris Island and surrounding areas. Hope you stay dry, Bill! Got a boat? :D

... Hope you stay dry, Bill! Got a boat? :D

No boat - just high ground and good drainage. A few years ago, we had a thunderstorm that dropped about 10" of rain in a few hours. The lowest part of our property had about 3" of water and that was gone a few hours later.

Here are charts of the rain total/rate and the barometric pressure overnight. The center of the storm passed about 20 miles to our southeast.

ScreenShot20160902b.jpg

ScreenShot20160902a.jpg

Well, Bill. I got that much rain last Friday and again last Saturday. 8" in two days, so that's not so bad. I actually would have thought you would have gotten more. I'm up on top of a rock hill overlooking everything myself. If I get flooded out then no need to worry about anything. There would be no where to go. When you left the area where my house and shop are, you start going down and would be under water shortly. My road is about 30' below me and there are even lower areas on it. That would be interesting. Guess that's why I got canned stuff in decent quantities around as well as some MRE's. Just in case things got a little bad. Also have a manual pump I can tap into my well with. Would not want to depend on a generator. I don't like storing fuel long term.

Well, Bill. I got that much rain last Friday and again last Saturday. 8" in two days, so that's not so bad. I actually would have thought you would have gotten more. ...

We lucked out by being on the "good" side of the storm. For a while, the forecast showed the center going just west of us, then directly over us. Another slight shift put it just southeast of us. That probably made a difference of several inches in total rainfall.

There are still a few hundred people without power here but there wasn't a lot of damage. One report we got from a friend in Tallahassee that large areas are still without power this afternoon.

As the old saying goes, it could have been a lot worse. I actually have an old wood burning stove that has the cooking plates on it that I keep for "just in cases". Not what I would particularly call one of those "survival nuts". Just believe in being prepared. If we had a string of severe tornadoes come through the area power could be out for a week. Depends on the extent of damage to the power lines and such. But, as long as I got some kind of a roof over my head, water and some food I'm good to go. I learned during my 26 years as a Marine that you don't have to practice to be miserable. But, you might want to practice not having to ever be that way.

Bobbie and I always laugh about the TV news people encouraging people to stock up in advance of a storm. If we didn't go to a market for two weeks we wouldn't go hungry! We have a gas grill for which I keep an extra tank at all times. I also keep several bags of charcoal on hand, buying it when Lowe's does their 2-fer deals and use it in my big smoker or a small grill. So, if necessary, we can cook anything in the freezers and keep it on ice. Saying all that, one thing we've been very impressed with is the quality of electrical service here in Thomas County, GA. These folks here have their act together to keep our lights on!

I've got to say the same thing about the elec service here in Parker County. They definitely have it together. Just keep in mind that all your cooking devices are good. But, for food storage the freezers and ice are only good so far. I generally keep 3 weeks of stuff on hand that requires nothing but boxes for storage. And, that time period of food is for more than just here. I have some family that might need some help if Mamma Nature gets carried away. And, she could. Never know. But all prepares the way that works for them. :D