Brad Nailer or Pin Nailer

Tom Baugues

I'm going to be putting up some 1/4" panels in my home and have decided to buy a nail gun and air compressor for the job. I've never needed an air gun before and may never use it after this project. I'm looking at two different guns from Harbor Freight. The first one is an 18 gauge brad nailer that used brads up to 2". http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/nailers-staplers/18-gauge-brad-air-nailer-68021.html
The other one is a 23 gauge pin nailer http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/nailers-staplers/23-gauge-pin-air-nailer-60241.html
although it will only use nails up to 1".
I guess I'm not real clear on the difference between a pin nail vs brad nails.
I think I'm going to also get a small air compressor from them...again I don't have much use for one. They have a small 3 gallon oiless compressor in either a pancake style tank or hot dog style tank. I've read that these compressors are big enough for the small job that I will be doing.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-61615.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...lon-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-97080.html

For the paneling, you'll need the brad nailer. Brads for the gun have a small head, whereas a pin as used in a pin nailer has no head. Even using the brads, it would be best to run a bead of adhesive behind the panels. A pin nailer is best used for attaching small trim while leaving an almost invisible hole behind.

Any small air compressor will be more than adequate for a nailer.

Pin nails have no heads - they're just pins.

Brad nails have a small head, and have better holding strength than pins.

Different tools for different jobs...

For your job, I'd use the 18 gauge brads, long enough to go through the panels and plaster,, and maybe ¾" or so into the wall studs. 1½" brads oughtta do it.

Sometimes you can get small compressor with nail gun. I picked a Black Hawk up from the big blue store with nailer included. Didn't need it but it's now on my shelf with the other larger gun. I do like to use them for putting up trim. Don't have to fight hammering and holding. Goes quicker.
David

...They have a small 3 gallon oiless compressor in either a pancake style tank or hot dog style tank. I've read that these compressors are big enough for the small job that I will be doing...

I have the pancake-style one - the one that develops 150psi - and it does a great job, even with bigger nailers than what you'll be using. It's a bit noisy, but all oilless compressors are, so that's not a concern for me. (the wife's opinion might differ...:eek:)

I have the pancake-style one - the one that develops 150psi - and it does a great job, even with bigger nailers than what you'll be using. It's a bit noisy, but all oilless compressors are, so that's not a concern for me. (the wife's opinion might differ...:eek:)

Good to know Jim. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tom, you should check out the box stores before harbor freight. you might get a free gun package for less and a name brand to boot.. check out cpo outlets as well

I don't know how large your nailing job is, but if you have a shop air compressor you can do small nailing jobs with these air nailers using one of the tire inflator type storage tanks as a power source. Fill it up at your shop compressor and then use it with your nailer. A ten gallon tank will let me drive 50 or more brad nails before I have to go back to the shop to re-fill the tank. I changed the fitting on my tank to an air line quick connect fitting, so I can plug in either the original tire inflator line and fitting or one of my air hoses into the tank. I also made up a double male air fitting so I can fill the tank faster from the air hose in my shop, but make certain that your tank comes with a valve, so you can shut it off before disconnecting the shop air line and remove the double male fitting. Doing this can be a bit dangerous if you disconnect the air hose without shutting the valve off, so be careful. I now use this tank for every small job that needs compressed air and is relatively close to my shop, but too far away to run an air line from my big shop air compressor. It would be perfect if you will be driving less than a few hundred brads and your shop air compressor is within walking distance.

Charley

Last edited:
Well I went to HF to buy the air gun and compressor today but when I got to the register they told me the 25% off would not apply to these items because they were "advertised items". Price was the same as always but since they were "advertised" the discount would not apply. So I let them keep their "advertised" items and I kept my money. Went on to Rural king where I needed to pick up some grass seed. While in the store I saw they had a small Stanley air compressor on sale for only $44.99 and it came with a hose and assorted fittings. The HF compressor didn't come with anything extra. So I'm happy with that. Still will need to find a nail gun though. I see some like new Bostich guns on craigslist. I may call around about those.

Last edited:
I have the pancake-style one - the one that develops 150psi ...

Be sure to check the rating on any tool you hook up to an air compressor. A pressure of 150psi could cause damage to the tool. For instance, I have a PC framing nailer that has a 90psi recommended operating pressure; same for my brad nailer. I use a regulator in-line to lower the pressure from my 60-gal compressor.

Also Tom be sure to add a few drops of air tool oil each time you haul it out to use. All u do is drop the drops in where the air hose connects.

Check your manual first. My Bostich brad and finish nailers are oil-less so they don't spit oil on the nice clean wood. The framing nailer is another story.

Last edited: