Thread: Corbels Anyone ?

Corbels Anyone ?

Yesterday I was at Home Depot.

I can make kitchen cabinets, but I am not so good at design ideas. Home Depot is better tan me and it is free.

I want a kitchen island and I added pretty plain and basic corbels. They were $220 EACH. The designer said they are hard to get and very expensive. Which leads me into ---- oooooooo --- I GOTTA make corbels and add that to the list of things to make and sell.

Anyway - I am coming away with some really nice kitchen design ideas.

that was one of the things that got me going for a while leo. when out of projects over the winter, i started the casa burro project. i took a bungalow floor plan, raised the walls in sketchup, and furnished all of the rooms with furniture that i had designed. i had designed, and built all of the kitchen cabinets in sketchup, both upper, and lower cabinets. it was an interesting exercise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails casa burro mk2 kitchen.jpg   casa burro mk2 kitchen rendered.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I have solidworks and can do the CAD work also. What I wanted was the "ideas" that do NOT reside in my head.

I like what I have gotten for "ideas" from a couple of sources.

Now, I can design the individual cabinets and make all the carcass parts on the CNC.

All the face frame and doors with be somewhat traditional. I am going to try to use the CNC for the big form cutters for the doors and stuff.

I just thought the corbels was an interesting take away on the discussion.

a basic corbel was $220, and hard to make? then my dresser has $880 worth of corbels that will take me all of 10 minutes to make. such as in the picture?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails collections-stickley-items for truck sale_89 uph-dm3.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Dan they are a bit bigger and more ornate than that.

In the list of corbels they had available the ones I chose were basic, based on the list available. Definately not simply band saw work.
    They are 4-5 inches wide (thick) by maybe 12"x12" or 18"x18" solid Cherry with some simple but ornate carving on three sides.

I am thinking with a bit of creative CNC, I could and will make the ones I picked out, hence the reason I picked them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corbel.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	97124

Something like this, but with tapered sides and a larger version.

This one is $75 un-finished Cherry.

cool! that one looks like 4 boards glued together. i can see doing the ends of it with pockets, and the rest as a repeating pattern. glue them up, a bit of sanding, and home free.
    benedictione omnes bene

Good idea Leo.
    cheers

It's a good idea, you could find a nitch market. It looks to be hard to make and be at price point a retailer could sell for $75.00. CNC and quantity could be the the solution

Bill