Corbels Anyone ?

Leo Voisine

Yesterday I was at Home Depot.

I can make kitchen cabinets, but I am not so good at design ideas. Home Depot is better tan me and it is free.

I want a kitchen island and I added pretty plain and basic corbels. They were $220 EACH. The designer said they are hard to get and very expensive. Which leads me into ---- oooooooo --- I GOTTA make corbels and add that to the list of things to make and sell.

Anyway - I am coming away with some really nice kitchen design ideas.

that was one of the things that got me going for a while leo. when out of projects over the winter, i started the casa burro project. i took a bungalow floor plan, raised the walls in sketchup, and furnished all of the rooms with furniture that i had designed. i had designed, and built all of the kitchen cabinets in sketchup, both upper, and lower cabinets. it was an interesting exercise.

Attachments

• casa burro mk2 kitchen.jpg
    casa burro mk2 kitchen.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 24
  • casa burro mk2 kitchen rendered.jpg
    casa burro mk2 kitchen rendered.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 21
I have solidworks and can do the CAD work also. What I wanted was the "ideas" that do NOT reside in my head.

I like what I have gotten for "ideas" from a couple of sources.

Now, I can design the individual cabinets and make all the carcass parts on the CNC.

All the face frame and doors with be somewhat traditional. I am going to try to use the CNC for the big form cutters for the doors and stuff.

I just thought the corbels was an interesting take away on the discussion.

a basic corbel was $220, and hard to make? then my dresser has $880 worth of corbels that will take me all of 10 minutes to make. such as in the picture?

Attachments

• collections-stickley-items for truck sale_89 uph-dm3.jpg
    collections-stickley-items for truck sale_89 uph-dm3.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 24
Dan they are a bit bigger and more ornate than that.

In the list of corbels they had available the ones I chose were basic, based on the list available. Definately not simply band saw work.
They are 4-5 inches wide (thick) by maybe 12"x12" or 18"x18" solid Cherry with some simple but ornate carving on three sides.

I am thinking with a bit of creative CNC, I could and will make the ones I picked out, hence the reason I picked them.

Corbel.jpg

Something like this, but with tapered sides and a larger version.

This one is $75 un-finished Cherry.

cool! that one looks like 4 boards glued together. i can see doing the ends of it with pockets, and the rest as a repeating pattern. glue them up, a bit of sanding, and home free.