How would you turn the foot of this one?

Stuart Ablett

OK, this is the latest HF, yes a Work In Progress (WIP).

hf_groovy1.JPG hf_groovy2.JPG hf_groovy3.JPG hf_groovy4.JPG

Notice how deep I went this time round with the captured hollowing rig :D

About 25 cm ( 10") and I have to say, that the last cuts were fine cuts, or the whole rig would vibrate something awful, still, it worked well.

I've finished it with sanding sealer and two thinned coats of cellulose lacquer.

I'll let it sit for a while and harden, then sand it some and such.

I'm not sure I'm going to put a cap, or collar on this one, but I've not made up my mind yet.

So, how do I turn off the bottom?

I'm thinking to take it out of the chuck, swap ends, and make a jam chuck for it. The one thing I worry about is the bark inclusion is really weak, I fear that if I put any pressure onto the neck, or spout of the HF, it will crack, so, what I was thinking was to put a LONG jam chuck into the HF so the chuck jams against the inside of the bottom of the HF, if that makes sense.

Suggestions?

Cheers!

I think the long jam chuck would be the way to go. Take that with a gain of salt, as I've not had to part a long piece like that off, but it seems to make the most sense.

Stu....the long jamb chuck is probably the way to go. You might also consider wrapping the exterior body with saran or plastic wrap. I've seen posts where some really good experienced turners use that on fragile pieces to give it extra support to help prevent them from exploding...if that makes sense.

Can't wait to see this one finished! Gorgeous wood! I like the form.

That long crack looks like it's just waiting for an excuse to come apart. How about making a base or pedestal from a contrasting wood and setting the tenon into a hole in the base. BTW, looks awesome.

OK it worked out fine!

md_long_jam_chuck.jpg
I chucked up this longish piece of Sakura (hard and stable) and turned a nice flat end on it.

md_jam_pad.jpg
I then attached a piece of padding with double sided tape

md_jam_chucked.jpg
Here is is all chucked up, ready to turn the bottom off.....

md_bottom_sanded.jpg
Sanded and ready for the final parting off

It worked!!

See more pics here.......

Mother's Day!

Cheers!