Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Shed Re-build

The Shed Re-build

So the thing is in the bed of my pickup in a bazilion pieces. No problem getting it apart but there will issues re-assembling it. The previous owner was ham-handed installing some of the screws. So of course there are numerous holes that have been stripped out.

This is a Lifetime plastic shed. The plastic is polyethylene. Can I use a plastic wall anchor for the stripped out holes or has someone got another idea?
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Can you go to a larger screws/ Fasteners, to solve the problem?
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

I am thinking if you used plastic plugs there is nothing really for them to grip on except the thin wall from blow molded plastic.

I would say Charles has the answer.
    cheers

Depending on access in back, you might try something in the auto body line. I'm picturing the little sheet metal clips that act like a nut for the screw threads to grab.

They screws are already #12's. The head fits in a recess, so larger screws may not work. The panels are double walled so there is no access to the back side for automotive clips. Plastic wall anchors have a splined shaft that should keep them from turning once seated in the buggered hole. Keep the ideas coming. I have a floor to build to put this on so there is time to sort it out.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Carol Reed

What about rehabbing the screw holes with some jb-weld? Mix it up, fill up stripped hole, then come back after it dries and drill a correct sized hole for the fastener.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I was thinking the same as Charles. Does the screw need to go into the recess if going larger? Maybe just a washer under the head and call it good with a little longer screw?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Brent had it.

Cool trick using Teflon tape to keep from gluing the screw in.
    ++++++

Carol Reed

Cool tip there Brent.

I think that guy in the video took the "don't get this stuff on your fingers" to the extreme.
    I have used this type of epoxy and my experience is , yes wear some gloves, but mix it with your fingers. The little heat transfer and kneading between fingers gets it mixed better and helps activate the two parts properly. It looked to me like his did either not dry completely or adhere completely before he backed that screw out.
    cheers

A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.