The Shed Re-build

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
So the thing is in the bed of my pickup in a bazilion pieces. No problem getting it apart but there will issues re-assembling it. The previous owner was ham-handed installing some of the screws. So of course there are numerous holes that have been stripped out.

This is a Lifetime plastic shed. The plastic is polyethylene. Can I use a plastic wall anchor for the stripped out holes or has someone got another idea?

I am thinking if you used plastic plugs there is nothing really for them to grip on except the thin wall from blow molded plastic.

I would say Charles has the answer.

They screws are already #12's. The head fits in a recess, so larger screws may not work. The panels are double walled so there is no access to the back side for automotive clips. Plastic wall anchors have a splined shaft that should keep them from turning once seated in the buggered hole. Keep the ideas coming. I have a floor to build to put this on so there is time to sort it out.

What about rehabbing the screw holes with some jb-weld? Mix it up, fill up stripped hole, then come back after it dries and drill a correct sized hole for the fastener.

I was thinking the same as Charles. Does the screw need to go into the recess if going larger? Maybe just a washer under the head and call it good with a little longer screw?

Cool tip there Brent.

I think that guy in the video took the "don't get this stuff on your fingers" to the extreme.
I have used this type of epoxy and my experience is , yes wear some gloves, but mix it with your fingers. The little heat transfer and kneading between fingers gets it mixed better and helps activate the two parts properly. It looked to me like his did either not dry completely or adhere completely before he backed that screw out.

Ooooh! New tool!

Interesting, Jay. Do you need the riviter as well or can you jst pound them in?

Give me an idea though.

Wonder if this would work?

plastic screw fastener.jpg

Last edited:
I have maybe two dozen to do, so the kneading epoxy and Teflon tape seems tedious. I am thinking the the plastic wall anchor and some plastic glue from LocTite. And I am thinking a simple straight in ribbed anchor would work. Little glue, a little accelerator spritz and good to go. I hope. Have to find one big enough for the screw though. Most anchors are only for #6-8 screws.