Thread: major wood haul gloat

major wood haul gloat

While visiting a friend yesterday in Eureka Springs (Arkansas) he gave me all the wood shown below. There are 15 slabs of 3" thick figured maple and one, over 8' long X 3" very large slab of walnut. He is a master craftsman that makes traditional style muzzle loading rifles and pistols. I will be making stocks for him on a rifle that will be a sorta semi-production/semi-custom item. This wood is for practice on the duplicator. Much of it is not suitable for stocks but the 'waste' will be good for other projects. I may laminate for bowl blanks and some of the really nasty stuff could be milled into pen blanks. It was all cut 1 1/2 to 2 years ago, but, unfortunately, ends were not sealed. He says that his wood supplier has a big pile of 'junk' burls that I can have for the taking. Next trip I'll bring the chain saw. BTW, some folks say that hard maple doesn't grow in Arkansas or Missouri. Fine with me if they keep believing that. I'll take all of this non-existant wood the cutter can find.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Nice score!!! Well done.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Looks good Frank, should be some nice stuff lurking in some of that wood!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Looks good Frank, should be some nice stuff lurking in some of that wood!
    I found several sections that will shape into stocks OK. In fact, I selected one for a flintlock fowler that friend will be building for me. Got my exercise for the a.m. Moved a stack of walnut in the garage, moved another big stack of osage orange, rearranged a bunch wife's precious junk, unloaded the truck, sealed all end, stacked and stickered it all, restacked the walnut and OO. Whew! Now I understand why most guys my age take up wood carving. They handle tiny pieces of wood that weigh only two ounces, not 50-100 pounds. But I have more fun.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Sounds good Frank!

So now you have your own pile of "Precious Junk"
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Not bad, Frank. Around these parts, that woodpile would be worth several hundred bucks... So my sympathy factor on hearing what a pain it was to stack is kinda low...

Anyway, congrats. Should keep you busy for a while...

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Not bad, Frank. Around these parts, that woodpile would be worth several hundred bucks... So my sympathy factor on hearing what a pain it was to stack is kinda low...

Anyway, congrats. Should keep you busy for a while...

Thanks,

Bill
    Bill, this stuff is figured. I found several gunstock worthy sections that would sell for about $150.00 by themselves. My back feels better already.

Great haul, Frank. I guessing by the time you get to the end of that pile, the back pains will be long forgotten.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Gee Frank, I hate to see you all wore out from moving all that wood around. Let me move it over to my place where it won't bother you anymore.

"Bill, this stuff is figured. I found several gunstock worthy sections that would sell for about $150.00 by themselves. My back feels better already."

Now that's the spirit!