Thread: Festool Roadshow

Lafayette, Indiana

Festool Roadshow

Driving through town today I passed a local hardware store and out in the parking lot there was a large semi truck advertising Festool brand tools and set up to do demos. I stopped by to see what they were up to and watched a few demos. I guess it's been a long time since I've shopped for tools cause these tools seemed to be state of the art tools with tons of features and options. Way more features than I a hobbyist would ever use. Looking at a drill with all the different head options was pretty interesting until I heard the guy say $625.00. Now, for a contractor or someone who does woodworking for a living it may very well be worth the cost but I suddenly felt like I didn't belong there when I heard the cost. Very nice tools...just not in my price range. I did get a free t-shirt though and an education of what good quality tools can do for you.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

ABQ NM
    I've never regretted buying the best tools I could afford, but even if I could afford a $625 drill, I'd have a hard time justifying it for my uses. I know a lot of pros, semi-pros, and serious hobbyists who have been able to justify the cost of the Festool products, and I've not heard of anyone who regretted the purchase.

I see a lot of parallels between tool purchases and music gear purchases. Both can be used professionally or as a hobby, and there are wide price and quality ranges for both. Even though I'm playing semi-professionally now (I play for free but charge money to move my equipment, lol), I'm still content using my sub-$1000 guitars in a community where a lot of players would never consider playing a Mexican-made Fender in public. Personally, I'd be afraid to take a $3000 US-made PRS guitar to a gig for fear of banging it up, but I'm perfectly content with a $400 Korean-made PRS. (And I won't have a heart attack if I bang it into a mic stand.) Plus, my playing will be just as sloppy on the expensive guitar anyway, lol. On the other hand, the amp modeler I use is the state of the art and priced accordingly. But to me, the versatility it offers and the satisfaction it brings are worth the premium price.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Parker County, Texas
    One thing I can say about Festool tools is that they seem to last forever. I bought years ago one of their Rotex Orbital Sanders when I was still building furniture. Never regretted it. A powerful tool beyond imagination. I can literally put most of my weight on it and it does not bog down at all. Are they expensive tools? Yes. Are they worth it? If you need a high quality power tool, then Festool is the name to buy. They have other tools I think that are not that pricey, though none are inexpensive. But, I would not spend that much on a drill. But I did spend I think it was $450.00 for that sander around 10 years ago. Sure made sanding table tops a dream instead of a chore, for sure.

Kansas City, Missouri
    I can't add much to what has already been said. If I felt I could justify them, I'd probably get them, but also being ignorant to what they can do for me is probably best too.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault