Seriously bad idea

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

So late last night, when the house was quiet, I decided to try turning a much larger oval bowl out of a chunk of walnut. Drilled the piece a little with a foerstner bit, and got it between centers and started turning:

catch 001 (Medium).jpg

So far, so good, right?

catch 002 (Medium).jpg

it's spinning around, just like it should, at something under 700 rpm

catch 003 (Medium).jpg

but the roughing gouges are getting a little dull (I swear, I need to sharpen them every three minutes!) And then I remember Stu's mantra, "All hail the mighty skew!" Now, I'm deathly afraid of the skew. I can see using it on spindles, maybe, in a pinch. Obviously, I don't know how to use it, but I figure I'll never learn how to use it, if I don't try... ;) I'm such a doofus sometimes... ;)

catch 004 (Medium).jpg

No, the wood isn't turning here... this is actually an after the fact recreation. But I clearly don't know how to present to tool to the wood. The book I have says that before you use a new chisel, you need to learn how to rub the bevel with it, just to get a feel for it. Makes sense, right?

catch 005 (Medium).jpg

Wrong! I rub the bevel, and lift the back of the handle just a touch. Next thing I hear is a very loud BANG, and something strikes my chest with great force... hard enough to confuse me (it's easily done!) It was so hard and so sharp that at first I thought the wood had smacked the skew and driven it back so it smacked me on the chest. I put the tool down, and turned off the lathe. Imagine my surprise when I saw this:

catch 007 (Medium).jpg

Geez! I stood there staring, and figured out this is exactly what happened:

catch 006 (Medium).jpg

Of course! It's so obvious that that's exactly what *would* happen if someone was dumb enough to do this! But, as Kierkegaard always said, "Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." D'oh! ;)

Anyway, by the time I got the piece smoothed back out, it had taken on a completely different aspect:

catch 009 (Medium).jpg

Don't know how it'll look, given the new form:

catch 010 (Medium).jpg

And here's the other side:

catch 011 (Medium).jpg

Anyway, I'm only posting this as an object lesson for those who are, like me, just learning. Actually, three lessons: Think about what you're doing before you do it... geez, what could be more obvious? ;)

There's a real good reason people buy face shields! If the angle had been just a little different, I'd be even uglier than I already am! ;)

Things fall apart, and when they do, flying chunks of wood hurt! ;) But all's well that ends well...

Thanks,

Bill

Bill.....Glad you weren't hurt!.....I love my skew.....for spindle work......I'd never considered using it on faceplate/bowl work.........

As soon as I saw "Grizzly" on the lathe, I expected trouble report. Except for the new model, Grizzes spin too fast for big hunks like that. But you seemed to come through OK. Glad you aren't reporting injuries.

Glad to see it wasn't any worse than it was. Lathes seem so friendly and benign, then BANG! they reach out and touch you.

Ditto what Ken said about skews and faceplate work. Sorta like using a drill to change a tractor tire. Great tool, wrong application, and potentially nasty results. ;) (Although as Bill points out below, they do work on faceplate stuff after things are round.)

Dang it Bill, that is for SPINDLE work!! :doh: :D

Glad you are OK, just another lesson I guess!

It will work, as the other Bill says, on ROUND faceplate work, but even then, I'd only use it on the outside.

Got a bowl gouge yet?

Cheers!

Nope, no bowl gouge yet. Doorlink wants her cabinet doors first... ;)

This is only my second serious wood-flying incident. But I'm wondering if I shouldn't move the lathe a few feet down the wall, so the headstock isn't close to the window... ;) Even *I* can see that one coming... ;)

Frank, you're right, the lathe won't go below 600, but so far that hasn't been a problem... I turned another hunk exactly that size. With this one, I did wonder if I shouldn't go ahead and bolt the lathe to the table, right now it's just sitting there, kept in place by its substantial weight. I know I'll reach an upper limit on size for this lathe, but right now I'm not sure what it will be. This one's about 15", so I started the rounding process on the bandsaw. Working between centers makes it easier, or at least more stable. I'm guessing for outboard turning, I'll max out before I get to 20". I read a rule somewhere that said to turn the speed up until you get just a little nervous, and then back it off a tad. Since I can't quite do it that way, I figure I'll go slightly bigger each time, until it starts making me nervous. The good news is that I'm a terrible wimp, so I'll likely stop well before the size others would consider imprudent... ;)

As I mentioned before, Doorlink is not happy about this pointless frivolity, but today I figured out a workaround... ;) One of our good friend has a birthday coming up next week. Normally, we'd be spending money on a present, but a nice hand made walnut bowl might be just the ticket... ;)

"see, Darling, the lathe is saving us money already..."

I'll probably get a frying pan upside my head, but it's worth a try... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, my Griz lathe is lighter than yours and not as powerful. But, still, a hunk like that at 600 rpm makes me nervous from here. I'm saving up my pennies for a new G0632 . It's a variable speed with soft start that goes down to zero rpm.