Three little boxes for upcoming show...

Chuck Ellis

I'm getting ready for the Townsend Old Timer's Festival the last weekend this month and keeping up my inventory for the Farmer's market, plus have a Fine Arts Market coming up first weekend in Nov.... turned these little boxes this past week and
have the first 3 or 4 coats of finish on them... they're all turned from Spalted Hackberry and could be used as crematory urns if one were so inclined....

28-3269_0.jpg
This the first one I did this week... 9 1/2 inches diameter by 7 1/2" overall height ... and if my calculations are correct, about 145 cubic inches capacity - if used as an urn.

28-3270.jpg
This is the second, it's also 9 1/2 inches diameter by 4 1/2 inches high, with lid bringing the overall height to 6 inches.
inside capacity about 105 cu.in. This one has slightly thicker walls and bottom, so the volume is reduced a little.

28-3277.jpg
This one is 8 1/4" diameter and just over 3" high, with the lid overall height is 6 3/4 inches... capacity is 55 cu.in.

I calculate volume by filling them with rice, then empty the rice into a plastic pitcher that I have marked a scale up the side with what I hope are the correct calculations for volume....

Attachments

• 28-3269_0.jpg
    28-3269_0.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 28-3270.jpg
    28-3270.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 28-3277.jpg
    28-3277.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 8
I like those, Chuck! Hackberry can be a really nice looking wood. I use rice to measure volume on my boxes as well. I have a large coffee can full of it that I use over and over. I figger it is bound to get a bit dirty over time so just do it that way. Great work!