It's Friday, whats up for the weekend ??

Bob Gibson

I've been trying to pass a 5.8mm kidney stone since last Sunday morning :(
Lots of fluids but no pain pills. They totally mess me up.

Just been hanging around the house watching TV or reading. I'll try to get the lawn cut later today. Maybe all the bouncing around on the tractor will get the thing moving:pullhair:

Ouch, Bob! I'm taking the day off today and basically goofing off. Seems like a good thing to do. This weekend will be more turning of hackberry bowls. And other sundry items as well. But mainly hackberry. A lot of what I am turning will not go online but to the fair inventory for November. As usual way behind on that. Oh, well.

Will be spending time learning about the process of transition and re-purposing of Virginia's historic Fort Monroe from military base to a variety of new uses. Part of continuing education needed to maintain my state license as a Landscape Architect.
ftmonroe.jpg

Bob, you have my sympathy. I know how painful those are. I needed pills for pain and to stop the vomiting. Hope it passes soon.

I've been trying to pass a 5.8mm kidney stone since last Sunday morning :(
Lots of fluids but no pain pills.
Ouch! BTDT. Hope it passes soon.

Today I meet with the civil engineer to map out the next steps on the house build. This evening I am going to a play with friends at the local community theatre. They are so fun! Tomorrow I will work on moving stuff around here so I can get the new shed up before the end of next week. Sunday its back to work for me. Monday an interview with a loan broker to secure enough financing for the house. Finding financing on my own has been an uphill process. I don't want to borrow a million dollars and that's all those folks want to talk about! Minimum they will discuss is $250K.. Yikes!

Grandsons Little league game this evening, sister in law and her husband visiting tomorrow. I will spend the afternoon today in the shop working on a desk for my granddaughter, other than that nothing much going on here.

I started my day with a doctor appointment - primary care followup. Pushed him about some nerve conductivity tests to see if we can get to the bottom of nerve pain in my feet that gets really bad at times. Getting older ain't no fun but it still beats the alternative.

I'm starting the final finish process on some decorative parts for a 100-year-old secretary my wife inherited. I'm using rattle-can lacquer - couple coats of clear gloss and a final of clear satin.

Saturday, I hope to carve some CNC pieces and do a bit of shop cleaning.

Sunday will be our usual routine of brunch, chill and NASCAR.

Watching the grandson this weekend, probably a bit of rest, and then yard work. Probably will continue on my photo scanning project, though that one will probably be a year long project.

Growing old ain't for sissies. If it's not one ailment it's another. Just had echo on the heart and found something wrong not sure what. Nurse told me no treatment to help. See doctor in few weeks to discuss prognosis and what ever. Feel fine just not as spry as I used to be. Hate to hear the aches and pains of others. Makes me feel here it comes on my body.
Finish up placing router table on left side of table saw. I need the room so out the router table goes. Make room for something else. Would like a drum sander. Maybe this fall or winter. Can always make room for the next "essential" piece of equipment.
Right now enjoying a nice spring shower. Really came down for awhile. Things were getting dry.
Everyone have a safe and happy weekend.
David

Doing some prep work for some sill replacement along the front of our old house. There's some scattered pieces of cut granite from a previous porch laying there in the way and some are no doubt 150-200 kilos. But, I have a diesel and hydraulic app for that:D

I hope that thing passes soon Bob.

Last edited:
Bob, I hope things proceed well.... my step-daughter has had numerous problems with stones.... hope all goes well.

Spent the day with my new toy, slicing up logs for future bowls.... cut 38 bowl blanks today and about 10 of them I can core to get 2 or 3 bowls out them.... got most of the smaller ones cut round on the band saw.... the ol' back is screaming from all the bending and lifting.... also loaded the truck for the trip into town tomorrow morning for the Farmer's market.

Sunday, may just kick back for a day.

I hope everything works out soon for you, Bob. I'm (hopefully) on the ending phase of a limited case of shingles that's been dogging me for over a week. There's apparently a good chance that the shingles were brought on by a scorpion sting I got a couple of weeks ago.

Aside from the usual yard stuff, the only firm weekend plan I have is a rehearsal Saturday with my #2 band. The rest of the weekend is still up in the air. :thumb:

Well Thursday morning I had my third cupping session, following that I left for Ocean City on the bike. Capital 55 cruise control 3 hour ride everything went very fine. The bike ran good I felt good and will be headed home on Sunday. This evening I went to a small bar and listen to an old friend play in a band. Good food good people very nice atmosphere. Down on the boardwalk there are thousands of bikes listening to Sticks. And that's not for me.

Last edited:
Hope it passes soon Bob ,you too Vaughn.

Vaughn excuse my ignorance but how are these scorpions getting that close to you? I mean are the all over the place like ants. Here i thought this insect was "shy" for want of a better word.
Are you walking around the yard barefoot? Are they that prolific where you are? Shingles is no fun, i would be on a mission to fry every one of the suckers with a blowtorch when you over the shingles.
Are they in you home like spiders make their way in our houses this time of year?

We woke up to heavy downpour here today. I hope to make some more progress with my tractor " project" Been hemming and hawing over the sheet metal paint job. Had a quote for vapor blasting the sheet metal it started out too steep but got more attractive with a outright rejection. But things add up both in time and money and i never planned on going down this road this far, so today is decision day. I also want to get back to other projects before we get to snow flying here and a closed shop.

Going to a varsity Rugby match downtown Toronto tonight. My son made the first team at Western and they playing University of Toronto (UfT) tonight in their stadium on campus downtown.
Last weekend they played RMC (Royal Military College) and beat them so badly (55 -5) i was embarrassed on for RMC.

Enjoy your weekend folks.

good luck bob,
never heard that a scorpion bite could initiate shingles, wow, that really sucks. Ill be in Nevada in 10 weeks, driving the entire state, Im going to be looking down now, I hope they hibernate by late November.

still dying some pens, some explode on me, some don't, had to stop to make a rack for Chinese calligraphy brushes.
I didn't really want to get involved building one, but it took me 2 hours yesterday, and an hour today, tomorrow I put some clear stain on it.
Its for a restaurant owner, one that I eat at frequently, so instead of asking for money, Ill barter some free lunches for it.

Ill start a couple of novelty placques this week, they say, how do I tell time, and it says, AM, underneath hangs 2 coffee mugs, and under PM, two wine glasses hang.
not my design, but Ill make two, as my daughter gets one. simple pine with dark stain. either Ill use a paint pen to write, or Ill get my daughter to do it.

never heard that a scorpion bite could initiate shingles, wow, that really sucks. Ill be in Nevada in 10 weeks, driving the entire state, Im going to be looking down now, I hope they hibernate by late November.

Only seen 1 or two scorpions the whole time I've lived here.

Rattlers on the other hand, well that's another story.

...Vaughn excuse my ignorance but how are these scorpions getting that close to you? I mean are the all over the place like ants. Here i thought this insect was "shy" for want of a better word. Are you walking around the yard barefoot? Are they that prolific where you are? Shingles is no fun, i would be on a mission to fry every one of the suckers with a blowtorch when you over the shingles.
Are they in you home like spiders make their way in our houses this time of year?...

I spent 20 years growing up here and never saw a single scorpion. Most people I know who live here have rarely - if ever - seen one. Our house, on the other hand, is a dang scorpion ranch. Last year we saw over 20 of them in or around the house. A few were dead, but most were alive. This year we've seen 16. (Number 16 died after he stung me.) This particular one crawled up my pant leg as I was sitting at my desk on evening. He tagged me on the calf, then on the shin. Burned pretty good for about an hour, but by the next morning you couldn't even see the red spots where he got me. Still, my tongue was numb for 24 hours afterward as the result of the poison.

This year, I've been spraying commercial insecticide (Bayer Tempo SC) at least twice as often as the label recommends. According to the folks at Bayer, scorpions have a 10 year life cycle, so the only way I know if to eliminate them is to keep spraying. They like to live in and around rocks, wood and bark. Of course, 90% of the yards here are rocks or bark. Some of our neighbors have also seen scorpions around their houses (and I know of one who got stung - in bed - this summer), but still, none have reported numbers as high as ours. We have found them in the kitchen, both bathrooms, the music room, one of the bedrooms, and all over the yard.

Regarding the shingles, the doc told me they can be brought on by stress or weakening of the immune system. I asked her "Like from a scorpion sting?" and she said that it's very possible. I was stung just a few days before the shingles showed up. Fortunately, it's been limited to a small spot above my left eye. Still hurts like the dickens (and the permanent headache has not been fun), but it could have been a lot worse.