Fair Projects

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Finally finished the repairs on the table that got damaged at the fair. I also entered the Shaker oval basket. In spite of the damages, the table got a second, and the basket took a third.

Interesting comment on the table: Judge didn't understand the idea of the 'floating' top. He thought it should open, or something.

DSCN0605.jpgDSCN0606.jpg

Basket is cherry, with curly maple bottom & handle.
Table is cherry, with curly maple aprons. Top sits about 1" above aprons. Finish is about 8 coats of Target 8000cv. (Waterborne conversion varnish).

Last edited:
Congratulations, Jim!!!

I've had issues with one judge before. After a project I submitted was beaten by one that was obviously inferior, several people came to me to let me know he was one of them there...you know what's.

Well judges got it wrong Jim. That tables really great. Excellent choice of wood. Its got a nice lightweight look to it.
I have those shaker baskets on my list of "to have go at learning to make "

Can you explain how you have the aprons attached to the legs? Picture has me wondering? Looks as though they right on the corner edge setting apron back and helping raise the top but i cant picture the joint you used.
Initially thought the piece that holds the raised top was part of leg but looking at the side on picture it dont look like that. So spill the beans if you would please.
Nice finish.

Jim, as others have said, both are quite beautiful. I must have missed a conversation, what happened to the table at the fair and did that negatively influence the judge's decision?

The table got a deep gouge, and a couple scratches across the top, and one of the legs was dented.

I was able to remove the finish and steam out the dent on the leg, but the top had to have nearly 3/32" planed/sanded off to remove the gouge and scratches. Lost the patina on the top from that, but a week of 'sun tanning' got some of it back. It's still a little light, though.

...Can you explain how you have the aprons attached to the legs? Picture has me wondering? Looks as though they right on the corner edge setting apron back and helping raise the top but i cant picture the joint you used.
Initially thought the piece that holds the raised top was part of leg but looking at the side on picture it dont look like that. So spill the beans if you would please.
Nice finish.

The maple aprons are attached to the legs with dominoes. They're set back from the edge of the legs by ¼" to give a shadow line.

The top sits on two 'risers' that span across the long-side aprons. The risers are painted flat black so that they pretty much disappear.

The general idea of floating the top was to make the piece look lighter and 'airy-er.'