Waser Waterjet Cutter

Very interesting, but the donation discounts don't make sense. Donate $3599 and get 40% off; donate $4499 and get 25% off???
Looks to me like they got it just right. Earlier you get on board the better the deal. They get what they want as quick as possible giving away as little value as they can get away with. Clever pricing strategy that hopefully bodes well for their commercial future with the product.

Pretty cool. I had looked at water jets back before some of the car/bike shows really started using them and I forget how many tons of weight you had to plan for between the machine and water reservoir, not to mention the $100k price tag.

OK, so you know they didn't offer the higher levels from the beginning?
Good point.

I just thought it was a very rational (from their point of view) way to price what they are selling.

Kickstarter really interests me because of the opportunity it gives this kind of product to do funding, sales and market research in one hit in a way that would have been very difficult to achieve without it.

I saw someone do the operating cost math and they're pretty expensive to run. Would be a ton of fun though.

I admit that could be a deal killer, but for prototyping the cost is not the only factor, also the time it takes to have things cut by an outside company. If you have this in house you can do the prototyping in house, and make minor changes on the fly. I certainly see a market for this tool, and when you consider they were looking for $100,000 to get started and last I looked it was near $1,000,000, with 770 contributors, that looks like a pretty good market already.

I admit that could be a deal killer, but for prototyping the cost is not the only factor, also the time it takes to have things cut by an outside company.

Oh for sure, and there are things that you could make with something like this that would be just prohibitive time wise to do in any other way. I could see using the heck out of it for some projects (it would probably cost me a lot of money in materials outside of the waterjet costs :rofl:) Knowing what you're getting into though is also useful :)

Here's a rundown of some operating costs that breaks out the various consumables pretty well:
https://wardjet.com/waterjet/cost-to-run-a-waterjet

It would be interesting to know what their costs are for the various nozzles, etc.. It also makes me wonder (based on those numbers) how hard/expensive it would be to cobble one together...