On a hot summer day I had pulled the rope on my chain saw 15 or so times. Never one time did it try to start. This is normally a 3 pull saw at 20 degrees. So I stepped in the garage to get out of the sun. Put the saw on the workbench and removed the spark plug.
I reconnected the plug and wedged it in the handle grip to establish a good ground, and somewhat slowly pulled the rope to see if I had a spark. I have done this a hundred times, and I am sure many of you have too. I had no more pulled the rope 4 inches when the spark lit the fuel mist pumped out of the spark plug hole by the piston. The exterior of the saw must have had a film on it that burst in to flames, as did several spots on my table top. (Used for mechanical things or cleaning, not my woodworking bench). The fuel was consumed in seconds. The other flames were snuffed with a hand full of rags, and nothing else lit. The whole thing was over in 6 seconds only because I had lids on stuff and some luck. Mostly because it happened in a dark garage with my face a foot from the plug, it did manage to have a negative impact on my choice of words. In the end. I had confirmed good spark, good fuel, oxygen and the cylinder was certainly no longer flooded. The plug went back in and it it started on the second pull. Better to be lucky than good?
Again, I have done this a hundred times, on many engines and never thought of the mist expelled from the plug hole. I do think this was assisted by the summer heat.
Saw in the winter. Sit on the porch in the summer. Much safer.