My Shopful of Old Iron

its a nice heavy little grinder for a six inch. the only issue with some of those craftsman motors can be the capacitor. its a flat capacitor buried in the base and pretty well irreplacable

next is my Delta Homecraft shaper, not sure of its age, but late 50's is my guess

i use it for template shaping mostly, it has a 3 inch byrd shelix cutter on it with a guide bearing. i also use it for lock mitres using a big freud 3 wing cutter and also for raised panel cutting

i do have an old three slot cutterhead and a ton of little cutters, but the're a pain to setup.

it came with the original delta 1/2 hp reversible motor with a dinky little 4 wire cord from the drum switch. waaaaaay under powered and the 4 wire cable was crumbling apart, so now it has a 2 hp capacitor start that i rewired to make it reversible with the delta drum switch. thats the reason for the extra cables and junction boxes on the drum switch and motor

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

funny story behind this little guy, saw it advertised, went to see it. the seller had it in a garden shed and was going to demonstrate it with a 100 ft extension cord. of course it wouldnt start with that long cord, so i got it for 1/2 what he was asking, $50.

got it home, plugged it in, worked great!

this is my 1950's beaver 3700 drill press

its got an old delta 1hp, power switch is the rod with the brass knob, reversing switch is on the right side, its great for drum sanding! work lamp is an old delta part with modern flexneck
interesting design, all four bearings are tapered roller bearings.
they call it a bench top but its 40 inches high(almost 6 feet on that stand) and weighs almost 200 lbs plus the motor and stand
ive got it setup right now as a mortiser for a dining chair project. the mortising attachment is an origanal beaver unit, very solid and works very well

left side.jpg

right side.jpg

overall.jpg