Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Curious-Always Wondered

Just Curious-Always Wondered

I have always wondered, and never asked or tried to find out, if there is some sorta rule of thumb that dictates what depth a vessel is a bowl or a dish. Generally, if it the piece turns out to have a depth of 1" or less I have called it a dish. Sounds silly seeing I've been turning all these years, but I never knew if there was a general rule of thumb on that. Anybody know or are there any thoughts on it?

Can't answer your question in absolutes, but sort use the same criteria... if it looks like a plate or platter, I call it that, otherwise, it's a bowl.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I dunno?

I'm not sure there is a hard and fast rule, somewhere in there it transitions to a plate as well.. but where to draw the line seems a bit arbitrary depending on all the proportions of the piece.

I guess if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck we can call it a duck even if its a robotic killing machine bent on world domination. Or if it looks like a bowl, works like a bowl then you could still call it a plate if that sold better... I suppose.
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

My very loose rule is that if it cannot hold enough soup for a meal, its a dish or a plate platter, but I'm talking about something soup bowl in diameter and up, not a very small bowl like you would put a side dish in.

Told you it was a loose rule
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

or it could be a variant of the rule a former supreme court justice said about certain magazines, you'll know a bowl or dish when you see it....
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

I don't think you can set any rules as it can depend on the intended use.
    In general, I think of a bowl as having a rounded bottom where a dish would have an almost flat bottom regardless of the diameter and height.
    If by dish you mean plate/platter then I think it depends on the base also. An item may be 8" diameter and 2" deep; if it has 1/3 as a base and curved bottom I would call it a bowl, if it had 2/3 -3/4 base and a flat bottom I would call it a platter/dish.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

In the final analysis, does it really matter... it it will hold M&M's, it all good.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Now, Chuck! That answer makes all the sense in the world, and I can totally relate to it. All good answers which basically tell me that there ain't no real rule of thumb on it. My curiosity has been satiated. But, I did like what Ryan said about the robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    In the final analysis, does it really matter... it it will hold M&M's, it all good.
    The difference is that a bowl concentrates your M&Ms at the bottom of the bowl, but you have to chase them around a plate.

Aha!!! Now I know whether it is a bowl or dish. The ultimate test is the M&M Test. My mind can totally wrap around that.