Hurricane Matthew - Who's in the Path?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I know we have some members down in Florida and points north up the Atlantic coast. Everybody battened down?

Battened down in coastal Virginia, but no longer in the projected path unless it does something screwy. Usually by the time they get to us they are down to a cat 1 or tropical storm. Seems like a long time since a serious one rolled through. We will get mildly wet and windy though. Family and friends south of Daytona have elected to hunker down. Let's hope they made the right call. I remember Homestead Air Force Base (Miami-Dade county) being totally destroyed by hurricane Andrew back in '92. It never reopened.

Family and friends south of Daytona have elected to hunker down. Let's hope they made the right call. I remember Homestead Air Force Base (Miami-Dade county) being totally destroyed by hurricane Andrew back in '92. It never reopened.

Whoa, That might be a rough ride.... Hope they have a solid bunker.

I am inland about 2 or 3 miles from the beach and east of 95. 30 miles South of the Space Center.

Eyewall of storm passed by here last night about 20 miles off shore. That saved us from the 130+ mph winds.

Max wind at our place probably around 100mph. Some gutters down. Lots of shingles in driveway. A few are mine but way more on ground then the few I have missing. Will check around once the weather gets better.

So far we only lost power a couple of times and each time for less than 5 minutes. FP&L says over 100,000 in Brevard county without power.

My Son in Orlando only had 30 mph wind and lots of rain.

The good news not one speck of saw dust in my garage. When I opened the door the wind cleaned all dust out.

At around 8:00 am Friday - Storm north of us up by Cape Kennedy (maybe 30 miles) wind here is still 50+mph and raining like crazy.

I just hope all in the path have either a good place to hunker down and weather it out or get the heck out of Dodge. I went through 3 of those things back in the day and they ain't no fun.

I just hope all in the path have either a good place to hunker down and weather it out or get the heck out of Dodge. I went through 3 of those things back in the day and they ain't no fun.

Glad all was well for Pete... like Dave, I had some experience with a couple of storms... not my idea of a fun weekend.
I spent 24 hours trying to get home from the office during Allison and she was just a tropical storm that sat over Houston and rained for 3 days... the parking lot and street at my office had a foot of water... no chance of getting on any freeway to get home, I10 a block from my office had semi trucks floating down the road... water was 6 or 8 feet deep there, half of downtown Houston was under water and I wound up spending about 10 hours in a local funeral home because that was as far as I could get on the way home...we had 18 inches of water in their parking lot and people wading past in the street chest deep in water.
Just before we moved to TN, Rita blew in to Port Arthur about 40 miles away and we had more rain and water... everything we owned was packed in boxes and stacked in the garage waiting for the mover truck... water came up my drive way to within 3 feet of the garage door.
and in 1962 on Guam, Typhoon Karen blew up the mouth of the harbor... sank two Royal Korean gun boats at the dock, washed every tug in the harbor up on dry land, all the boats in the marina at Agana were washed ashore, wiped out the village of Inarajan, leveled it completely... up at ComNavMar where there was a weather station, they had one of those cupped things on a pole to measure wind speed... one of the sailors up there said that at 160 mph, the thing blew away.... down around the naval station gravel was blowing off the roofs and peppering the cars sitting around... they all looked as if someone was going about with a 12 gauge and shooting them with buck shot.

Glad we're far enough inland we won't see any of that.... and I'm on the west side of the mountains, so most of the weather will be blocked.

I do feel for all those in the path... it does look like a disaster. I'm not a praying man, but will offer what I can for their safety.

I'm located a bit NE of Charlotte, NC and so far all we're getting is rain. They are predicting winds for here, but I'm not seeing any trees moving to indicate it yet.
It looks like a good day to be in the shop.

Charley

Glad to say the Matthew passed us bye as the first possible landfall in the US. Not much to talk about 2" of rain and winds only 15mph. We had more than that the week before. My prayers to all those effected to the north. Looks like it is a flooding event and that is bad news for coastline of FL, GA, SC, NC.