Friday 10/7/2016 - What's Up?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a pretty uneventful weekend for me. No gigs to play this weekend, but need to practice some stuff for next weekend, when we'll be playing at the Harvest Festival in Angel Fire NM. (Angel Fire is a neat little ski resort village east of Taos.) I'm having to re-learn some of our songs, since I'm covering Mike's guitar parts while his broken hand heals.

Sunday LOML and I hope to head a couple of hours NW of here into the Jemez mountains, specifically the Valle Calderas National Preserve. The elk rut is in full swing and we'd like to see if we can spot any bulls, or at least hear some bugling. The herd at Valle Calderas is about 2000 strong, so hopefully we'll see or hear something.

What have you got going this weekend?

getting everything organized and packed up for the craft show tomorrow. the way things have been going this week, if the saying "no rest for the wicked" is true, then i must be pure evil... :rofl:

Last edited:
Tonight my wife's company is celebrating their 50th anniversary, so have to get dressed up for that. Tomorrow I'm taking a load of brush to the dump, then planning to pickup some OSB and 2x4's to build some storage in the garage. Pretty well sick of climbing the ladder to the attic for holiday stuff, so it's all going on shelves out there now. Also have to mow, close the pool, and may get up to the shop to do some cleaning.

Just been busy ........... TGIF ! This evening my son is dropping of the grand daughter for the evening. :)
Saturday I figure it's raining all day so I'll to the repairs to the bike from the accident 5 weeks ago.

I really need some time in a tree stand to get away from the shop. That's not happening for a couple weeks.

Leaving tomorrow morning for Louisville, KY to see one granddaughter get married and, with another granddaughter, meet my great-grandson. Quick overnight trip, returning Sunday.

Still working on the new shed. Got all the pieces together, now some finessing to keep water out. It became a domino project, meaning that other things had/has to be completed to carry on. Evenings and nights I m working out the house plans. Nearly done enough to run it past the county planner before submitting it to the contractor for pricing and the structural engineer for panel building.

Furnace has totally failed and had the RV guy here today to replace it - at a king's ransom - and after he had it installed, found the new furnace had broken fan blades! No air coming through the vents! So I freeze until next week when the replacement furnace should arrive. Nights are getting too cold for this desert rat. Even the dog is shivering.

Life!

Got tired of storing my quad under a tarp (the rats used it as a tent) so I picked up one of those plastic sheds like Carol has.

Now I just have to pick a spot to put it and put it up!

My usual Saturday at the Farmer's market... but Sunday two of my sisters are coming in from Texas and New Mexico for a few days. Sunday afternoon will be a kick back and catch up session as we've not seen each other since Mom passed away in 2007. Monday and Tuesday we'll chauffeur them about the area and show off east Tennessee.

And Saturday is Dianne's 73rd birthday, so we're going to do a couple of steaks on the grill... we were over the hill into North Carolina on Tuesday to meet with my son and daughter in law for dinner at a really elegant restaurant to celebrate both our B/S's.... was a really nice evening out. Even if we did have to drive home over the mountain in pitch black.

Last edited:
Got tired of storing my quad under a tarp (the rats used it as a tent) so I picked up one of those plastic sheds like Carol has.

Word to the wise. When they say a level floor is needed to get it together, they kid you not!

Just sayin'.....

While Brent is putting up the shed, I'll be up at S. Lake Tahoe at a concert (Lydia Loveless and Drive By Truckers) :thumb:

Maybe I can convince him to take a break and come up there with me :rofl:

Bobbie and I have been in Louisiana since Wednesday on a family research trip - ancestry stuff and all that. Some of the stories we've been hearing are, shall we say.....interesting!?!

Been keeping an eye on the storm, of course. Looks like the only thing that might have happened on our side of Georgia is a few sprinkles.

We'll head home Sunday morning. Looking forward to getting back to our normal routine!!!

Word to the wise. When they say a level floor is needed to get it together, they kid you not!

Just sayin'.....

Got it covered. Got the PT lumber and decking ready. Just need to finalize where I want to put it. Bob is always a big help at leveling things by getting rid of extra dirt.

While Brent is putting up the shed, I'll be up at S. Lake Tahoe at a concert (Lydia Loveless and Drive By Truckers) :thumb:

Maybe I can convince him to take a break and come up there with me :rofl:

Oh yeah, Saturday Night is gonna be fun!

Checking out a local art/craft show on Saturday morning before the rains hit. It's usually a very good show with high end vendors...more artsy than craftsy. Then back to building the raised garden beds. Overbuilding, as usual with lined PT 2 x 12's and hardware cloth below grade to keep moles/voles out. Saturday edit: Lots of rain. More than half the vendors at the art show cancelled out and the few remaining were mostly locals.
IMG_3331.jpgIMG_3334.jpg

Last edited:
www.trailingofthesheep.org

$2.50 happy hour barley pops and $48,000 paintings in the same area. Ain't taking no bets on which ones I'm buying.
Now that looks like something interesting to attend.

Hope you post some trip pics. Enjoy.

Checking out a local art/craft show on Saturday morning before the rains hit. It's usually a very good show with high end vendors...more artsy than craftsy. Then back to building the raised garden beds. Overbuilding, as usual with lined PT 2 x 12's and hardware cloth below grade to keep moles/voles out. Saturday edit: Lots of rain. More than half the vendors at the art show cancelled out and the few remaining were mostly locals.
View attachment 97399View attachment 97400
Ted, how deep do you go with, that screen ( you call hardware cloth) i gather.

Then , why the ice shield on the sides of the pt wood?

Curious because Linda said i gotta get my backside in gear and make raised beds next year. I told her i would at our final resting place, not rented place, so gathering info.

What did you put in the very bottom? Anything?

Btw my eventual version of raised is going to be high enough not to bend.