lesson from hammers and levers

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
The used plastic shed is almost not worth the money savings. One place I tried was I put it on an existing concrete slab. Of course, it was not dead flat. Bigger problem that I thought it would be. Been shimming as advised in the instructions. Using my biggest dead blow hammer as my long handled steel sledge is in a trailer in another town one hour round-trip away. Not enough oooph!

So a trip to Harbor Freight 10 minutes away and $8 later I have a 2' wrecking-bar, Great lever. Boosted up the edges and shoved in the shims. One more side to go but it is in the sun so it will have to wait until Monday morning when I can do it in the shade. Can't work in full sun. I get light headed and can't see. Back in the house and hydrating as I type.

Lesson: when a bigger hammer doesn't get the job done, a longer lever is called for.

Levers and big hammers!

Not worth the savings because it was used? Or because of the need for a perfectly level base?

Going to go take a look and see where I want to put mine. I will make sure to make a nice level base for it based on your feedback.

.... One more side to go but it is in the sun so it will have to wait until Monday morning when I can do it in the shade. Can't work in full sun. I get light headed and can't see. ...

My solution to too much sun. This system is very mobile and works great for me in the garden.
One of these, strategically placed:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-P...-Actual-0-6-in-x-3-5-in-x-0-in-x-5-ft/4780965

Then slip one these down over the post:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Garden-Trea...-L-Actual-102-76-in-W-x-102-76-in-L/999901391

Thanks, Ted, but a post through the concrete would probably not be appreciated by my current landlord!

For Brent: The old style shed had a snap in fit for the wall pieces that did not snap in easily or even with considerable force. I had to modify the slots to make it work. Think the plastic got less flexible as it aged. The new sheds have a drop-in slide over tab connection. Works MUCH easier. Other than that, I think the Lifetime shed from Costco is a good deal and looks nice when done.

And, yeah, dealing with a wavy concrete pad did not help things at all. Still have some shimming to do tomorrow morning in the shade to get the door to close decently, but nearly there. All in all, cost gobs more time than it should have.