Thread: A little shelving

A little shelving

This is about the only wood working I've done lately, but some much needed shelving in our garage for storage. This past weekend I spent some time getting a pile ready for good will of all the clothes, car seats, and such left over from our grandson's time living with us over the past couple of years. Also, our attic is full of halloween and xmas decorations that I'm determined not to have to lug up and down the little stairway to put them out each year anymore.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-09 18.51.57.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	97419

This is the first of about 6 units, to be about 25' down the two outer walls of my house garage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-09 18.52.07.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	97420 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-09 18.52.33.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	97421

There is about 18" from the top shelf to the ceiling, which is tall enough for the larger rubbermaid tubs. Then 38" between the lower shelves, letting me stack two of those tubs high. The bottom shelf is up off the floor which slopes from the back to the front of the garage, I'll be trimming that out to keep the leaves and such from building up under them.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

that will keep things out of the way!
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

Good plan and execution, Darren!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

That's just wrong not having decorations in the attic. Doesn't Santa have a rule about that? This past summer I installed a fold down ladder to accommodate the stuff up there. First time LOML got up there she said let's have a garage sale or auction. Sorry we don't have room in the garage for shelves. So much simpler and you can keep an eye on the accumulated stuff (junk).
    David

Those will work!
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

Heavy Duty!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Now that you have the shelves you need to come up with a bunch of boxes the same size and shape for efficient stacking, etc. Then you need to find a bunch of boxes the same size and shape---except different from the first group for different size stuff.

I am using a bunch of "case of paper" boxes from Staples and others. Staples used to give them to me when I had a couple businesses. Now they charge me a buck each---which is a low price for good sturdy boxes that size so I have no complaint.
    If you are like me you can accumulate K-Pod coffee boxes over time. I have found them to be a good size also. They are fairly strong also.
    One of the stores had a deal on plastic shoe-box size boxes (Is that English?), Thirty of them for $10. Things like that appear every now and then but disappear quickly---Translation, "You don't have a lot of time to think about the purchase."

Enjoy getting things orderly,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I have shelves like that in my cellar. I use plastic totes with covers and stack as I can. Also nice to label the contents. Even better - just don't save "stuff", I'm working on that one.

Thanks all. My wife started going through the pile of baby stuff and probably a 1/3rd of it will be staying for any future grand kids, so I guess I'll move some of it to the attic unless we get to the point we need it every year (which I wouldn't be against). I'll be starting on shelving phase 2 later this week. I want to be able to park in the garage again in the next few weeks.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault