A little shelving

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
This is about the only wood working I've done lately, but some much needed shelving in our garage for storage. This past weekend I spent some time getting a pile ready for good will of all the clothes, car seats, and such left over from our grandson's time living with us over the past couple of years. Also, our attic is full of halloween and xmas decorations that I'm determined not to have to lug up and down the little stairway to put them out each year anymore.
2016-10-09 18.51.57.jpg

This is the first of about 6 units, to be about 25' down the two outer walls of my house garage.
2016-10-09 18.52.07.jpg 2016-10-09 18.52.33.jpg

There is about 18" from the top shelf to the ceiling, which is tall enough for the larger rubbermaid tubs. Then 38" between the lower shelves, letting me stack two of those tubs high. The bottom shelf is up off the floor which slopes from the back to the front of the garage, I'll be trimming that out to keep the leaves and such from building up under them.

That's just wrong not having decorations in the attic. Doesn't Santa have a rule about that? This past summer I installed a fold down ladder to accommodate the stuff up there. First time LOML got up there she said let's have a garage sale or auction. Sorry we don't have room in the garage for shelves. So much simpler and you can keep an eye on the accumulated stuff (junk).
David

Now that you have the shelves you need to come up with a bunch of boxes the same size and shape for efficient stacking, etc. Then you need to find a bunch of boxes the same size and shape---except different from the first group for different size stuff.

I am using a bunch of "case of paper" boxes from Staples and others. Staples used to give them to me when I had a couple businesses. Now they charge me a buck each---which is a low price for good sturdy boxes that size so I have no complaint.
If you are like me you can accumulate K-Pod coffee boxes over time. I have found them to be a good size also. They are fairly strong also.
One of the stores had a deal on plastic shoe-box size boxes (Is that English?), Thirty of them for $10. Things like that appear every now and then but disappear quickly---Translation, "You don't have a lot of time to think about the purchase."

Enjoy getting things orderly,
JimB

Thanks all. My wife started going through the pile of baby stuff and probably a 1/3rd of it will be staying for any future grand kids, so I guess I'll move some of it to the attic unless we get to the point we need it every year (which I wouldn't be against). I'll be starting on shelving phase 2 later this week. I want to be able to park in the garage again in the next few weeks.