A little bit about the work I do at school

Jim Hager

We have been building benches again. This time for the retiring faculty members:D :rofl: of which I am one of course. I have been building the retiring teachers retirement gift now for several years so I got to do it on my own year as well. There are 5 of us retiring and setting out on our own to pursue everything from nothing to a new career.:rofl: This is the first time however that I have had to build more than one. Whew, got em all done this afternoon.

My 8th and 9th grade students have done a lot of the work. I could have got them done with a few less mistakes without their help but they wouldn't mean as much to their reciepients. Each bench is personalized with a center plate that gives the family name and the year the couple was married. On the end of each one is a plasma cutout that has something to do with each persons favorite things. I put a group of oak leaves on mine. The benches are made from 1 1/2" 11 guage square tubing, 1/8" sheet steel for the plasma cutouts and 5/4 treated deck lumber. We used 1 1/4" drill screws to assemble the wood onto the steel. The steel frame was mig welded and then ground down smooth. They are painted with Nason enamel paint with an undercoater of Nason grey primer.

The kids learned a lot about cutting metal, welding with a mig welder, grinding, use of the plasma torch and making the wood parts. I let them do as much as I thought they could get along with. Lots and lots of too deep grinding marks and some really poor welds but at least they will hold. No telling how much wood was wasted cutting the parts just a bit too short.:eek: :huh: But then I guess that's what education is all about. I'm gonna miss the little devils but I gotta go on my way, I owe it to myself and my wife, besides they've already replaced me:eek:

Attachments

• Summer 07 001.jpg
    Summer 07 001.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Summer 07 002.jpg
    Summer 07 002.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Summer 07 003.jpg
    Summer 07 003.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Summer 07 006.jpg
    Summer 07 006.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Summer 07 007.jpg
    Summer 07 007.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Summer 07 008.jpg
    Summer 07 008.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Jim,

First, thanks for your service as a teacher. Our children are our biggest asset.:thumb:

Next, congrats on your retirement. What are you plans?

And finally....the benches look great. The little "signatures" the students put on them make them "one of a kind", for sure. :D

Greg

Greg, my plans are to open my cabinet shop full time. I have been sneakin up on this now for at least 10 years and I'm ready to make a go of it now. I also have signed a contract with a fund raising company to help round up youth groups to sell their products. I've got in 28 years as a teacher and I just turned 50 the other day, so I think I;ve got a bit of life left in me yet. Retirement, I think not, just a new career.

Jim,

Sounds like a great plan... Best of luck.:thumb:

As far as retirement... I only meant from your up to now "carear"..:rofl: I "retired" 3 years ago, and am busier now that ever.

Greg

... besides they've already replaced me:eek:
Stu beat me to the punch, but to clarify...they might find another teacher, but I seriously doubt they'll replace you. ;)

Those benches wouldn't be worth nearly as much without the deep grinding marks and poor welds. Congrats!

fond memory

well jim, i know they wont forget you, and i too commend you for your efforts.. the benchs as all have said are very nice. the charcater will hold many memories for you and those who receive them.. the most memorable memory of my school life was being asked to give a short speech about my shop teacher, who i was around alot.. he and i were kinda like father and son and i felt honored to have known him and to been able to do that for him.. he to retired. so good luck with your new adventure and those students you spent so much time with will come back someday and make you proud, just like the hall mark commerical :thumb: :thumb: thanks for your sharun pics and for your teachun our kids.

"besides they've already replaced me"

Jim,

They may have filled the position you've left but I strongly doubt you've been replaced. May you and your's enjoy your well deserved change to what will be occupying your time.

Glenn