Today Was One of those Days

Dave Hoskins

Everything started off nicely. Cutting down a pecan log as well as a red oak. Going to be very nice bowls. After that, decided to turn something small out of bodark. Grabbed a piece to cut down on the bandsaw. Was cutting along just fine and the blade hung up a slight bit causing the wood to jump a bit and then bent and warped the daylights out of it! No damage to me except disgust. Then I discovered that I didn't have any extra blades on the shelf. OOOPPPPSSSS!!!!!!!! So, went back into the house and ordered a couple. Be here around Friday, me hopes. You don't miss the bandsaw until you do, if that makes any sense. After that I tried to do a small piece out of red oak and just seemed that nothing was going right. Well instead of risking life or limb by pushing something I just shut things down and walked my daily round trip to the mail box (3/4 mile round trip) and called it a day. Decided I needed some humor so I put on Tremors and watched it with the dogs. :D

I don't remember the character's name, but there was a guy in the old Little Abner cartoons that always had a rain cloud over his head. When you have a day like yesterday, you feel like him. But, all is well this morning and going out to the shop shortly to start this day the best way I can. Speaking of dogs, I had a dog named Arnold who lived to be about 16. Great dog and companion. He loved watching dinosaurs on Jurassic Park movies. He only had a nub for a tail, but that thing would go 90 miles an hour when a dinosaur would roar or whatever. Funny. Good memories.

I don't remember the character's name, but there was a guy in the old Little Abner cartoons that always had a rain cloud over his head. When you have a day like yesterday, you feel like him. But, all is well this morning and going out to the shop shortly to start this day the best way I can. Speaking of dogs, I had a dog named Arnold who lived to be about 16. Great dog and companion. He loved watching dinosaurs on Jurassic Park movies. He only had a nub for a tail, but that thing would go 90 miles an hour when a dinosaur would roar or whatever. Funny. Good memories.

His name was Joe Btfsplk - remember him well

Joe B.jpg

Well I had one of those days yesterday too, dealing with stupid tenants, in-laws and just a long day of standing all day, then today I had a quick, easy welding job for a company that I have done some work for, maybe 3-4 hours work for about $500, I get all the parts cut, and prepped for welding, get my MIG welder out, I'm suited up and.... the gas nozzle on my MIG gun is just gone....? Then I spent the next two hours looking for it, can't find it. Ordered TWO from Amazon, they will be here on Friday....

It's always nice to know you are not the only one who has those days like that. That would really be disgusting if I was. Now what I want to know Steve, is did you have to look his name up or was it one of those trivial things that you actually remembered. I know of the character, but would have had to look him up. But nonetheless now I know it again.

It's always nice to know you are not the only one who has those days like that. That would really be disgusting if I was. Now what I want to know Steve, is did you have to look his name up or was it one of those trivial things that you actually remembered. I know of the character, but would have had to look him up. But nonetheless now I know it again.

I knew his first name was Joe and remembered the character, but, no, I had to look him up to get his last name. Not one of those names that sticks with you. I remembered it cause I had the title role in Lil Abner when I was in college.

Well, Steve. At least you remembered his name was Joe. Better than me. I'd have to look both up, first and last. But that's neat you played Lil Abner in college. I played Scrooge once in a small high school play of A Christmas Carol. They said I was without a doubt a curmudgeon and a perfect Scrooge. Now what kind of thing is that to say to a guy? The truth probably. :rofl: I'm still accused many times that I am rather much a curmudgeon. Love it. Worked hard to get that way. Then again maybe it came naturally.

When I was in the AF, I heard about "crusty old majors" but I'm pretty sure I was a "crusty lieutenant". I'm still working on curmudgeon, but I'm making good progress .. at least that's what my wife says.

I don't think there was any doubt in many minds that I was a crabby, crusty, curmudgeony Master Gunnery Sergeant. Being a curmudgeon is great. You need to get to that state ASAP!!!