Fall Decor

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Made this Shaker basket - cherry & curly maple - a while back.

It's filled with gourds that I dried, then airbrushed with tinted (Transtint) shellac.

DSCN0614 [800x600].jpg

The box and the gourds all came out pretty well, I think.

I made the walnut Shaker boxes in the background several years ago.

Nice looking basket Jim.

Did you do anything special to dry out the gourds? My wife bought a dozen or so a few weeks back that all have some great character to them. Would be nice to have a few of them around while.

Nice looking basket Jim.

Did you do anything special to dry out the gourds? My wife bought a dozen or so a few weeks back that all have some great character to them. Would be nice to have a few of them around while.

I drilled a couple holes in the blossom (big) end of each one, and put them in a warm, dry place ( a top shelf in my shop) to dry for several months.

They might develop some mold on the outside during drying, and they'll lose most of their color, turning a drab brown.

After drying, I wash them in mild Clorox water (maybe a half cup of bleach to a couple gallons of water) and let them dry for a day or two, then brush them thoroughly with a stiff brush to remove any remaining mold residue, etc.

Then, it's just a matter of mixing up the shellac in whatever tint you like, and coating them. I use an airbrush, and shoot multiple coats and colors, but whatever suits you will work.

Good looking baskets. Can you make pictures, directions so someone else can try to make one.? I think I would like to try this.
David

They both fun, and (sometimes) frustrating to make. Sometimes the bands bend - other times they break...

There's lots of info online, and supplies are available, too. Here's the best source of both supplies and information.

And here are a couple PDF files with info, too.

http://www.shakerovalbox.com/wp-content/uploads/BuildingGuide.pdf

http://www.shakerovalbox.com/wp-content/uploads/PicCatalog.pdf

Just what I need, something else on my bucket list. Thank you Jim for the links. Sorry I missed you years ago when living outside Battle Creek. Went to Johnson's Lumber quite frequently.
David