A Box

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I actually built this box the end of last year, then it got set aside for other work. I finally ordered the hardware for it and got it completed.

The walnut came from a special place in Michigan. I resawed one piece to get the top panel, which is 3/8" thick. Maple is from cutoffs from other projects.

Box_GC_1a.jpg

Box_GC_1b.jpg

The small trays inside are 1/4" maple.

Box_GC_1c.jpg

Beats the flimsy plastic case the cleaning kits come in.

Box_GC_1d.jpg

No, I don't have much of an armory - just a range of "tools".

Thanks for looking!

Could have sworn I replied to this.

Really like the way the top tray works to let you have the bottles stored upright.

That is one nice storage box. I need to rework mine. So many projects so little time... LOL

Very nicely done, Bill. :clap: Beautiful wood, and the tray design is great. And +1 kudo for the cutout for the upright bottle. :thumb:

I could use better storage for my cleaning rods. I have several partial kits in unmatched containers. (They all rattle around with everything else in the fabric tool bag that's my cleaning kit.) These days I don't use the rods nearly as much as I use my BoreSnakes. I still use the traditional brush and swabs if the barrel has a lot f built-up crud, though.

Very nicely done, Bill. :clap: Beautiful wood, and the tray design is great. And +1 kudo for the cutout for the upright bottle. :thumb:

I could use better storage for my cleaning rods. I have several partial kits in unmatched containers. (They all rattle around with everything else in the fabric tool bag that's my cleaning kit.) These days I don't use the rods nearly as much as I use my BoreSnakes. I still use the traditional brush and swabs if the barrel has a lot f built-up crud, though.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Upright bottles was the start of my design dimensions. The rods determined other dimensions. Here's a link to the SketchUp file for those who would like it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqcl2t1wds7oswx/Box_GunCleaner.skp?dl=0

I've looked at the boresnakes but don't have any, yet. Might be handy for a shotgun or rifle, but pistols and revolvers are easy enough to clean with rods. Also, when I go to the range, I might put 50 rounds through my pistol but not 500 like I know some people do.