Rustic Pecan Bowl

Dave Hoskins

Dug this piece of pecan out of the cuttings and decided to see what it would give. Different in it's own way. Also, this is like the 3rd or 4th piece that I started adding fake fruit and peanuts in the photos. Just seemed like a smarter thing to do. Anyway, there were plenty of worm holes in this as well as some tiny knot holes. I tried to keep the outside profile of the bowl in line even with the wings there. I think I did reasonably on that. More of the bark came off than I wanted to so one side has bark and the other one not. Makes it even more different to me. The outside width is 10 1/4" and the inside diameter is 6". The height is 3 3/4" with a depth of about 3". The volume measured out at about 3 1/2 cups. As per usual with me the wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then given a couple of coats of straight shellac and then buffed. It's certainly different and of course not for everybody. But those who like unusual and rustic will like it. :D

Thanks, David. I have a tendency to turn my bowls with slightly thicker walls and bases than a lot of folks do. I was taught something that a lot of folks don't necessarily agree with, but makes sense to me. Most wood bowls meet their demise from being dropped on hard tile floors. A slightly thicker walled bowl with a bit heavier base might give the bowl a better chance of surviving the shock of the drop. The man who taught me that was a Master Quaker Carpenter who helped with the restoration of Benjamin Franklin's house and that famous (forgot the name) grist mill not far from there. He did a lot of the turning and so on for the spindles and such on the wheels on the grist mill. So, that philosophy kinda stuck with me, for better or worse. :D